SQFG's short impressions of Virgin Blue and ADL airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQFG's short impressions of Virgin Blue and ADL airport

Some random thoughts on what I would call arguably one of the best LCC's on the face of this planet.

Check in at DJ ADL was short, curteous - and the new ADL terminal is stunningly efficient and traveller friendly. Never crowded, it is NOW, BY FAR my favourite entry point. Kingsford Smith, Tullamarine, Eagle Farm - can all learn something from ADL. From off the SQ plane to landside past Immigration/Customs/AQIS (Australia's famous quarantine services) in under 10 minutes and that included hold baggage delivered.

Don't have many pics: - too shy to take:

Domestic Terminal - DJ gates (11-20? i think)

There's free wireless by internode - a nice touch.

VH-VOD operating my flight today DJ542 ADL-MEL

9V-SRC, that brought me to Australia - sitting only a few gates away. ADL is that well thought out that you don't have a real terminal change etc to transfer.
    As we pushed back - you can see just how far the intl. gates are away.

Adequate legroom. It's not First Class, but it works on short flights. Buy exit rows for 30 AUD more - they're called Blue Zone seats. Wasn't interested today. You can also buy "the Lounge" access for 30 AUD more, but didn't have a long enough connection to bother.

Food is B.O.B - ala LCC's so nothing to report there. I had a diet coke that cost 2.50 AUD - which is not far off the price Air Asia charges .....

I don't remember much of the flight (too tired)except this little gem from the lead FA....

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, welcome on board DJ542 from Adelaide to Melbourne. In charge of this flight is Captain Terry Williams, and Co pilot Melanie Griffiths.... NO..... not THAT melanie griffiths. Ours is far prettier and a damned sight better behind the wheel of a large vehicle"....
    Last edited by SQflyergirl; 8 May 2007, 07:54 AM.

I agree that DJ is probably the best LCC ever. I never bothered with Blue Zone unless it is for the PER - SYD route.

Comment

Hey, SQflyergirl! It's great to see a familiar airport! Hope you had a good experience transiting ADL airport, my home port (for the time being)!

Yes, this airport is fairly new, and everyone is enjoying it. It's a far cry from the "garden shed" that was the International Terminal!

Comment

hey nice summary of the new ADL airport sqflyergirl
        last year i used to travel out of ADL every fortnight and i agree , from curbside to gate with checking in bags sometimes less than 10 minutes .

for both international and domestic travels one of the great open airy airports in aus for sure but being biased to my hometown BNE isnt that bad either - anyone kno of any plans of extending the dom terminal there?>

Comment

Originally posted by token01 View Post
          hey nice summary of the new ADL airport sqflyergirl
          last year i used to travel out of ADL every fortnight and i agree , from curbside to gate with checking in bags sometimes less than 10 minutes .

for both international and domestic travels one of the great open airy airports in aus for sure but being biased to my hometown BNE isnt that bad either - anyone kno of any plans of extending the dom terminal there?>

The current Adelaide Airport has just been opened since October 2005 for international carriers, and domestic operations were moved into the same terminal in February 2006.

Thus, Adelaide Airport has one terminal, and it caters to both Domestic and International flights. Being an airport that doesn't carry as much air traffic as other airports in Australia (especially internationall flights), it has the luxury of housing all flight operations under one roof.

As for the old domestic terminal building, it is left vacant, with purposes unknown to date. The old international terminal however, is being used as the arrival terminal for a domestic regional flight to Port Lincoln operated by REX (Regional Express) using Saab Turbo Props.

Comment

As always, an enjoyable (however short) TR, SQfg! Must be something about the word 'blue'. My best friend in NYC swears by Jet Blue.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Its great to see ADL getting a mention. In case anyone is interested they also have a live webcam looking along airside.

http://www.aal.com.au/media/webcam.aspx

As previously mentioned, we don't have as many International flights as SYD, MEL or BNE but from past experience with all flights operating from one terminal and quick check-in, baggage claim and immigration/customs it certainly is one of the easiest to navigate.

SQ currently is the only International carrier with a daily service out of ADL although there are are rumours that CX will also commence daily operations to HKG (currently 4 per week) from October this year.

Comment

some more pics - from this morning's trip back

Greetings from SKL ADL....

some pics from my journey back to ADL this morning.

VH-VBJ - note the hump - it's for live2air live tv ala Jetblue - costs 6AUD though. 24 channels of TV, IIRC.

Live2air flightmap

Arrival into ADL - how convenient. My next ride just next door. 9V-SRB about to give SQFG a lift to SIN.

Comment

Thanks for the update, SQFG. Glad your connection worked out ok.
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Are my eyes playing tricks but is there an aerobridge and then also mobile stairs for the DJ flight boarding?

Comment

No your eyes aren't seeing things. Virgin Blue tend to use both the aerobridge and rear stairs supposedly to speed up boarding and deplaning. When boarding DJ flights certainly in ADL and BNE (not sure about MEL and SYD) depending on your seat allocation you are directed to either use the aerobridge or stairs. When deplaning its left up to personal passenger choice.

Comment

Originally posted by soak01 View Post
                        When boarding DJ flights certainly in ADL and BNE (not sure about MEL and SYD) depending on your seat allocation you are directed to either use the aerobridge or stairs
                        Applies in MEL too. I think on the 73G it's rows 14 onwards. On the 73H it's a little further back IIRC.

Comment

What a great report on Adelaide Airport. I flew Singapore Airlines in January for my trip toThailand and was very impressed by how easy it is to check in, go through immigration, and board your flight through here. Even arriving back into Adelaide on a full 777 flight, i was out the aircraft, through customs and picked up my luggage in under 30 minutes. I was very impressed as i was expecting the normal delays of going through Australian airports. In the old international terminal, it usuall too well over 1 hr to clear customs.
                          Anyway as a very regular visitor to the airport as i live just over the road off Bradman Drive, i do all my spotting from the terminal now. Sure we dont get many international flights but we do get up to 60 domestic services a day plus quite a few regional flights from REX etc. The terminal is supurb for viewing the aprons, runways etc and there are many eateries in the terminal, bookstores, bars etc. Each gate has a television stand so if u want to catch up on tv, u can do it in the terminal. Im very proud of this terminal now, compared to what we used to have. Probably one of the most user friendly terminals ive been in. All we need now is more international airlines to consider coming here.

Comment

Wow.. SQflyergirl.. Great to hear your nice experience with DJ and ADL airport.

The new Adelaide Airport is indeed quite impressive. It is a lot more comfortable and not so crowded as compare to the old airport. The customs clearance has improved a lot compare to the old airport. Once, back in 2005 on a SUnday morning arrival (the busiest time in old ADL international terminal), it took me over 3 hours to clear customs in the old airport , and my flight was arriving just after MH, followed by QF and Garuda. Garuda has withdrawn from ADL.

Comment

SQflyergirl

I am just curious, did you check your luggage through to SIN from MEL or you need to collect your luggage and check-in again? How long was your layover in ADL?

Comment

Working...
                              X