Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• day to trip to Indonesia - Jakarta airport

All,

I have one day spare in Singapore which I was hoping might transpire into a day trip down to Jakarta and back.

If you can, please advise if it is worth hanging around in Jakarta aiport. Secondly, do people do day trips to Jakarta and does it raise suspicions of authorities (meaning just going down to the airport and then returning).

Thanks

Wow...I don't know how to answer this. Day trip to Jakarta (unless maybe it is during the long Ramadhan period or certain weekends) will not get you anywhere but only around the airport.

What to see in CGK? Well, a lot of works have been done on the airport lately and it has improved a lot but it is still not a very comfortable airport. Architecture wise, it is quite unique and can be quite zen but that's all about it. Duty Free (especially the Lotte shops) is nice but you still can't beat the same facility offered at SIN.

People used to do day trip to CGK and back for PPS run when SQ was still doing the sectors qualification but since that has stopped, not a lot of day trippers to CGK. Authorities may ask questions but as long as you could show them your Boarding Pass (make sure you get one or you get the transfer desk in the arrival concourse to help you if there is any issue), you are usually allowed going up the escalator back to the departure area.

Comment

Originally posted by qantas_flyer View Post
      All,

I have one day spare in Singapore which I was hoping might transpire into a day trip down to Jakarta and back.

If you can, please advise if it is worth hanging around in Jakarta aiport. Secondly, do people do day trips to Jakarta and does it raise suspicions of authorities (meaning just going down to the airport and then returning).

Thanks
      Did two turnarounds from SIN to CGK within a week back in 2007 as part of a *A RTW with a nested trip back to Egypt. No problems with the authorities at either airport. Only a small issue with the VOAs. Bought one on the first turnaround and managed to do the turnaround airside. Had to buy another one for the second turnaround as I wanted to leave the airport.
      However, I did get questioned by the US authorities at SFO on the next leg of the trip.
      /Desert Traveller

Comment

There's a huge difference between a turnaround and a day-trip. I've done several airport turnarounds, the most recent last year. Assuming you're travelling SQ, you have to ask the SQ ground staff to arrange for you to go back up to the departure level. Depending on the authorities on the day, they might well ask questions, but the practice is not uncommon.

As for Jakarta day-trips, it's extremely common for business people to travel in for a couple of hours and return the same day.

Comment

I think its better if you do a day trip into Batam for a taste of Indonesia...
          This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

HI all

Thank you for your advice.

I will be travelling down and back, just to the airport. I don't really have that much time to go out and see Jakarta. I am just going down to add another flight to my itinerary and enjoy SQ once more.

Thank you.

Comment

Forget it. There is nothing to see at the airport. And unless your idea of a good time is to be trapped in Jakarta horrid traffic jam. Goto Bali or Batam instead.

Comment

Originally posted by qantas_flyer View Post
                HI all

Thank you for your advice.

I will be travelling down and back, just to the airport. I don't really have that much time to go out and see Jakarta. I am just going down to add another flight to my itinerary and enjoy SQ once more.

Thank you.

If you're going down just for the flights do note that these can be tough ones to enjoy as they are hectic for the crew trying to conduct a full meal service and duty free in 1hr 20mins. In J/F this usually doesn't bother me however in Y it makes for a very chaotic flight IMO.

Edit: Denpasar would be my choice as the flights are an hour longer at the same fare.
                The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Well, going by your goal maybe KUL is a better option? Easier to turnaround also, I gather...

Comment

If you are only going to the airport then go to Bangkok or KL instead. I go to Jakarta and back, both for turnarounds (which are great fun in F!) and day trips for a meeting in town or at the airport, but the airport doesn't have much to see or do. For just hanging around in an airport then KUL is better than BKK, and Changi is better than all of them. DPS has a nice outdoor area in the lounge if you fancied going there.

Comment

whats everyone's experience in regards to the departure tax on turnaround flights in jakarta (CGK)?

according to IATA

passengers transit at CGk do not need to pay departure tax but i have done a couple times of turnarounds with CX, and have always been asked to pay IDR 150,000 despite me have a printed copy of the IATA rules.

Comment

Working...
                      X