Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destination help: Sydney, Melbourne and Auckland

Hi guys

I searched and maybe my eyes are blurry but I can't seem to find any thread on this.

I am going to Oz and NZ during (koff koff) Mardi Gras period. Alone. Sad right. But at least I will be on SQ A388 again biz class, and finally will get to try Air NZ long haul coffins biz class. Hmm, probably shouldn't say coffin...

However, am not sure about where to stay and what to do in SYD, MEL, and AKL.

I am gathering that AKL especially is expensive for hotels. I am looking spend say $150 - $180 on hotels. I know I can do the trip advisor thing but location is something only locals and travelers will have a sense about.

Also am wondering about things to do, places to see.

So if anyone can suggest anything, I will be very grateful. Actually if anyone wants to meet up there, I would LOVE it. Nothing worse than not being able to share travel experiences...:-)

Thanks!
    Have Passport Will Travel!

Melbourne - would highly recommend Hilton South Wharf
    Auckland - Stamford Hotel
    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
      Melbourne - would highly recommend Hilton South Wharf
      Auckland - Stamford Hotel
      much appreciated! ive booked the hilton in mel, but aiyoh are all hotels in akl around 400 bucks and above? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by emperorsr View Post
        but aiyoh are all hotels in akl around 400 bucks and above? ;-)
        Depends on (amongst other things) dates, requirements and expectations of accommodation...

Comment

Auckland is not great for hotel choice I'm afraid, either in quality or price. There is the Hilton in a nice waterfront location but is usually way overpriced. The Westin is no longer a Westin (is it even open now ?), the Hyatt is no longer a Hyatt and the Sheraton is now the Langham.

In Melbourne I have stayed at all three Hiltons (now only two as the airport Hilton is now a Park Royal) and would agree the South Wharf one is nice.

In Sydney I have stayed in the Park Hyatt, both Marriotts, the IC, the Sheraton on the Park, Four Points, Hilton and last week the Westin for the first time. The PH is magnificent, but very expensive. Of the others I really like the 4P, probably more than the other two Starwood properties. Good luck with any of them during Mardi Gras I would imagine....

Comment

MAN Flyer,

The old Westin is now the Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour, she reopened late last year with typical Sofitel pomp and fanfare...

The old Hyatt is now a Pullman...

And as for SYD during Mardi Gras weekend - prices will be a touch short of ridiculous!

Comment

The Westin in Melbourne is really nice and in great proximity to the best shopping. If you don't have to be in the CBD, there are some great boutique hotels in the stylish inner city suburbs of South Yarra or St Kilda - The Blackman (St Kilda Rd area - very close to the CBD), The Olsen (has a fab cocktail bar and trendy steak place), The Cullen (Prahran - great for Mardi Gras related extra curricula activities) or Prince(Fitzroy St in St Kilda - great bars around this area). The Olsen is my favourite for both style and convenience - right in the middle of everything on Chapel St in South Yarra - shopping, coffee, restaurants, the most happening of bars and only 1 stop on the train to Flinders St station in the CBD (door to door between our apartment in South Yarra and the OH's old workplace in the city on Spring St under 10-15 minutes and this is in peak hour).

We liked the Pullman in Auckland which previously existed as a Hyatt Regency I believe. The residences were exceedingly cheap when we were there last year (under A$200 for a one bedroom apartment). The old Westin was fabulous before it went bust, not sure what it's like under the new management - might still be worth staying at for the lovely waterfront location. Make sure you eat at Euro at Princes Wharf.

Been a long time since I've been to SYD. Either the Westin or Sheraton were decent but not mind blowing. I have heard rave reviews about the new QT Sydney - if you like the W Hong Kong you will absolutely adore QT Sydney as they're both designed by Nic Graham of G&A. Love the website too: http://www.qtsydney.com.au/
              Last edited by KeithMEL; 23 January 2013, 09:23 AM.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

If you want something a bit cheaper in Auckland the Rydges in Federal St is quite good. recently renovated and in central location opposite skycity complex.

skycity hotel is fine too, it's centrally located.
                My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                  MAN Flyer,

The old Westin is now the Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour, she reopened late last year with typical Sofitel pomp and fanfare...
                  What on earth does that consist of ?

The old Hyatt is now a Pullman...
                  Yep, this Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond and Starwood Plat has in the last few years seen:

Sheraton Auckland change to a Langham (granted that was a while ago)
                  Westin Auckland change to a Sofitel
                  Hyatt Auckland change to a Pullman
                  Sheraton Perth change to a Pan Pacific
                  Hilton Melbourne Airport change to a Park Royal

ANZ is not the place for those programmes...

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

Yep, this Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond and Starwood Plat has in the last few years seen:

Sheraton Auckland change to a Langham (granted that was a while ago)
                    Westin Auckland change to a Sofitel
                    Hyatt Auckland change to a Pullman
                    Sheraton Perth change to a Pan Pacific
                    Hilton Melbourne Airport change to a Park Royal

ANZ is not the place for those programmes...
                    The Langham in Melbourne was originally a Sheraton too I think
                    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Accor does have far better coverage in ANZ, that's true.

Comment

The Langham in Auckland is also a very good hotel but it is a little off centre.

I believe there's a saturation of higher end upscale hotels in the Australian market and Starwood is trying to boost its presence through more mid range products. I remember a Travel Daily article a while ago that said they're looking to grow the Four Points and Aloft brands in Australia. They've announced an upcoming Sheraton in Melbourne and Brisbane is getting a Four Points - not till 2014 though and with these new developments don't count on anything until they're actually open (Westin Brisbane was announced and fell by the wayside).
                        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

It's basically a big get together of all the Sofitel heirachy and inviting all "relevant" media and "celebrities" to attend a "sabrage" (also the name of its restaurant)

Yup the Langham MEL was also a Sheraton, and a Luxury Collection Sheraton at that...

Comment

Thanks for the help guys!

probably more than the other two Starwood properties. Good luck with any of them during Mardi Gras I would imagine....
                            You are right! MG has pushed up the prices.

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                            If you don't have to be in the CBD, there are some great boutique hotels in the stylish inner city suburbs of South Yarra or St Kilda - The Blackman (St Kilda Rd area - very close to the CBD), The Olsen (has a fab cocktail bar and trendy steak place), The Cullen (Prahran - great for Mardi Gras related extra curricula activities) or Prince(Fitzroy St in St Kilda - great bars around this area). The Olsen is my favourite for both style and convenience - right in the middle of everything on Chapel St in South Yarra - shopping, coffee, restaurants, the most happening of bars and only 1 stop on the train to Flinders St station in the CBD (door to door between our apartment in South Yarra and the OH's old workplace in the city on Spring St under 10-15 minutes and this is in peak hour).
                            http://www.qtsydney.com.au/
                            Thanks KeithMEL! Really appreciate the leads. I am tempted to go with the Olsen but is Chapel Street really that close to the CDB area? Someone said to stick to places like Bourke and er Spring was it? I am also wondering, does MEL also have MG there? You mentioned that the Cullen is great for MG related ECA's…altho koff koff I wonder what the ECAs could be…might be tempted to try :-) Is Prahran a…how shall I put this delicately, a family environment?

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                            If you want something a bit cheaper in Auckland the Rydges in Federal St is quite good. recently renovated and in central location opposite skycity complex.

skycity hotel is fine too, it's centrally located.
                            I may be checking it wrong but the Rydges in AKL is quoting me like closer to NZD300 a night. :-(

Comment

What?!? Nobody suggested the PH in MEL?!? I thought it was quite nice -- though the entire time is a bit of a blur...
                              HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                              X