• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirmed: Tiger Airways Australia to hub at MEL

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...788225184.html

Fares to fall as city sinks its claws into Tiger

Mathew Murphy
    May 3, 2007

MELBOURNE will become the Australian home of budget carrier Tiger Airways, in a decision set to create hundreds of Victorian jobs and spark a price war.

The Singapore Airlines-backed carrier will today announce plans to establish its headquarters at Tullamarine. Avalon Airport is believed to have been overlooked because of its distance from the CBD.

All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

That would be very interesting !

What do you think will happen to the aviation industry in Australia, Keith ?

(A few Aussies I spoke to doubt Tiger Airways will survive....)
    J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Going by history, I doubt they'd be successful in the short term. But they (or rather their parent company) have deep pockets so they're definitely here to stay.

In the end it's consumers that benefit from the increased competition.

Am hoping they'd open up MEL-PER soon to push the outrageous fares on that sector down.
      Last edited by KeithMEL; 2 May 2007, 10:47 PM.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Going OT, I'm intrigued by the headline - "Fares to fall as city sinks its claws into Tiger" - shouldn't it be the other way round ?

Comment

With MEL as australia's sports capital and so may aussies in to sports, I think TR made a good call to fly in&out lot of sports fans.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
            With MEL as australia's sports capital and so may aussies in to sports, I think TR made a good call to fly in&out lot of sports fans.
            Indeed, especially come footy finals time. Flights are sometimes so full that people from PER have to fly to MEL via SIN.

Comment

hopefully the airlines here to stay , just like KeithMel stated i haveheard of crazy routings like that - btw is tiger *A? beacuse that is what australia is missing Domestic *A

Comment

Originally posted by token01 View Post
                hopefully the airlines here to stay , just like KeithMel stated i haveheard of crazy routings like that - btw is tiger *A? beacuse that is what australia is missing Domestic *A
                Tiger isn't *A I'm afraid.

Comment

I don't think Star Alliance will include any low cost airline, unless you consider US as low cost

Comment

Jetstar to undercut Tiger

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...205167482.html

Hold that Tiger: Jetstar set to pounce

Mathew Murphy
                    May 29, 2007

THE battle to be the leading low-cost carrier is gathering pace, with Jetstar preparing for the arrival of Tiger Airways.

Jetstar chief Alan Joyce has moved to defend his airline's territory in the low-fare market by guaranteeing that Jetstar will provide passengers with travel vouchers worth double the difference of any domestic flight found to be cheaper than a Jetstar one operating on the same route at a similar time. The voucher is redeemable for any Jetstar flight, and has a six-month expiry attached.

Comment

Working...
                    X