Japan - Domestic flights booking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan - Domestic flights booking

I've been looking at ANY Skyweb but it seem to only allow booking up to 2 months ahead. Looks to be the same for JAL website.

Has anyone else managed to book flights more than 2 in advance?

Peach (one of the few LCCs in Japan) offers flight bookings up to 3 months in advance iirc. Their network is limited though.

Comment

Thanks anyway. Seems bizarre you can't book anymore than 3 months with the likes of Skymark or air Do while JAL and ANA only lets you book no more than two months ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ218 View Post
        JAL and ANA only lets you book no more than two months ahead.
        It works more than two months ahead using a GDS (but of course you're paying full fare), e.g. 4 August from Haneda to Itami:

Code:
         04AUG  SAT   HND/Z‡9     ITM/‡0                                
        1NH      25 F4 Y4 B4 M4 H4 HNDITM  100P  205P 772 0 DCA /E      
        2JL     119 F8 J4 Y9 H9 G9 HNDITM  130P  235P 777 M/ 0 DCA /E   
                    *A                                                  
        3JL     117 J0 Y9 H9 G9 *A HNDITM 1230P  135P 767 0 DCA /E      
        4BA/JL 4629 J0 C0 D0 I0 Y9*HNDITM  130P  235P 777 M 0 DCA /E    
                    B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 *A                       
        INTL ONLINE CONNEX/STPVR TFC ONLY                               
        5NH      23 F4 Y4 B4 M4 H4 HNDITM 1200N  105P 767 0 DCA /E      
        6NH      27 F4 Y4 B4 M4 H4 HNDITM  200P  305P 767 0 DCA /E

Comment

Thanks JHM.

Discovered Star Alliance Japan Air Pass. 10000yen per sector up to max of 5 sectors. First sector has to be a confirmed flight and others may be open. Tickets won't be issued till 2 months prior to flight but can be booked ahead of that.

Only for visitors flying into Japan with ANA or a Star Alliance partner airline.

Comment

Only for visitors flying into Japan with ANA or a Star Alliance partner airline.
            You have to be very careful about the conditions of these tickets. For example, with a Oneworld product, I once tried to buy one but couldn't because my inbound and outbound Japan flights were on different tickets. There may also be a few hoops which you have to jump through to get the ticket issued. Further details about all this (possibly applicable to your ticket) here:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9289

Comment

Thanks for the heads up jhm.

I think I should be ok. My japan inbound and outbound are on the same ticket number except for SIN - MEL which is on another number.

Either that or wait till the 2 months booking window opens and book as it is released.

Comment

wait till the 2 months booking window opens and book as it is released.
                ... but then depending on which route, it may well cost you a lot more than the flat rate of JPY 10k per sector.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  ... but then depending on which route, it may well cost you a lot more than the flat rate of JPY 10k per sector.
                  Route I'm looking at is HND to CTS smack in peak ski season in mid Jan. Pretty much already scouted the flights I want be on to get me there around mid morning. Just a matter of booking it.

It is a Tuesday so am hoping the flight won't be too bad with the crowd. Unless you have further tips for me.

Comment

There will be 2 new LCC flying from NRT by summer (Air Asia Japan and Jetstar Japan), so they will now doubt have lower fares than the incumbents on major trunk routes. As was already suggested you will not find cheaper fares on JL and NH than the *A Pass and OW pass but you must purchase either in conjunction with your flight into Japan (on a OW or Star airline). Will you be entering Japan via NRT or HND?

Comment

It is a Tuesday so am hoping the flight won't be too bad with the crowd.
                      In my limited experience of Japanese domestic flights (including during Golden Week but admittedly that was during last year's drop in travel), crowds at Japanese airports are never a hassle like they are in other countries. Check-in is efficient (particularly if you have status), Japanese pax are organised before proceeding through security and the same applies for boarding, finding your seat and stowing luggage.

For HND-CTS and if the cost over what you can pay for Y is not too much, I know JL does (and presumably NH) do domestic F which is a pleasure to fly (I took this two years ago along with domestic F a few times between HND and ITM) - huge seats and unless it's changed, a choice (!) of food and superb service as expected. Plus you get your own dedicated check-in and security at HND (which you can also access if you're OW emerald).
                      Last edited by jhm; 3 May 2012, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Not too concerned so much about crowds but more getting a seat on the flight I prefer.

Anyway after reading some skiing forums. January isn't too much of a problem but more during New Year break and CNY holidays.

Originally posted by QSG View Post
                        There will be 2 new LCC flying from NRT by summer (Air Asia Japan and Jetstar Japan), so they will now doubt have lower fares than the incumbents on major trunk routes. As was already suggested you will not find cheaper fares on JL and NH than the *A Pass and OW pass but you must purchase either in conjunction with your flight into Japan (on a OW or Star airline). Will you be entering Japan via NRT or HND?
                        Will be flying entering via KIX.

Comment

Not too concerned so much about crowds but more getting a seat on the flight I prefer. Anyway after reading some skiing forums. January isn't too much of a problem but more during New Year break and CNY holidays.
                          Will be flying entering via KIX.
                          No doubt the cheapest will be via Peach which does fly out of KIX! Just so you know they will add on for skis, baggage, seat assignment etc. You can also take the majors via KIX and that the passes in conjunction with your international ticket are the cheapest way.

Comment

Sorry OP for slightly changing the conversation, but I've read here and there of people upgrading at the counter for some yen to J on ANA and Japan Air, on domestic flights. Is this still the case? And how does it work exactly? Does one simply roll up to the counter, present his credit card and be on his merry way, regardless of booking class? Curious to see how I can try this out for the 787 bet. HND and Hiroshima.

Comment

Sorry to bring the old topic up. Was no issue getting a booking on the website this morning when the 2 month booking window for the date opened. And turned out the 1 of the 2 flights out of HND I was looking at is a 787. No brainer as to which I chose.

Selected the 787 equiped flight back to HND too.

Fingers crossed no equipment change.

Comment

Working...
                              X