• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which flight to MEL?

Airlineslover
    SQ227 or SQ237 to MEL?
    « Thread started on: Sep 7th, 2006, 12:11pm »
    Hi all,

My family will be travelling to MEL on SQ227 in Dec, arriving at 7:15am. I have to fly from ADL to meet them there for a 5 days trip in Mel.

May I know how long will it take for them to clear customs (all travel in Economy)? Is the international airport very busy at that time? They will only bring cloths and hence will have nothing to declare. What time should I arrive in MEL (as I am not sure which flight to book on from ADL to MEL). In ADL, I always take like 1.5h or so to clear the customs and I'm doubt how will it be in MEL.

Alternatively what if they fly SQ237, arriving at 9:30am? which one is better in terms of the time taking to clear the customs and in economy seating? As I realise that they operate 747 for SQ 227 and 777-300 for SQ237. But at a 9:30am arrival, will the airport be extremely busy compare to the arrival at 7:15am?

shortfinals
    Re: SQ227 or SQ237 to MEL?
    « Reply # 1 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 2:59pm »
    For customs clearance? 237 is by far the better option. You'll also save a bundle avoiding the traffic on the Tulla freeway if you're heading south-southeast toward the city.

I hardly take 227 because it clashes with MH149 and the CX arrival. Thankfully the BA and EK arrivals are done by then. Much preferred SQ221 connecting to UA815/839(as it was known then )

KeithMEL1985
    « Reply # 2 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 2:59pm »
    IMO, SQ237 arrives at a better time for clearing customs/quarantine. Economy seats in the 773 are also superior.

SQ227 arrives along with a lot of other flights from Asia during the morning rush. The only major arrival along with SQ237 would be QF93 from LAX which usually would have cleared the airport by the time you get off SQ237 anyway, barring disruptions to normal flight operations of course.

KeithMEL1985
    « Reply # 3 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 3:01pm »
    on Sep 7th, 2006, 2:59pm, shortfinals wrote:I hardly take 227 because it clashes with MH149 and the CX arrival. Thankfully the BA and EK arrivals are done by then. Much preferred SQ221 connecting to UA815/839(as it was known then )

Damn you beat me to it shorty!
    No more BA for MEL btw. After OS goes, there'd be entirely no European presence at MEL.

Airlineslover
    « Reply # 4 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 3:20pm »
    Thanks guys. That really helps.

By the way, if I were right, the domestic and international terminal (Terminal 2 & 3) are all under one roof, is that right? Correct me if I were wrong. This will be my first visit to Melbourne.

shortfinals
    « Reply # 5 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 5:18pm »
    on Sep 7th, 2006, 3:20pm, Airlineslover wrote:
    Thanks guys. That really helps.By the way, if I were right, the domestic and international terminal (Terminal 2 & 3) are all under one roof, is that right? Correct me if I were wrong. This will be my first visit to Melbourne.

Yes, one building

KeithMEL1985
    « Reply # 6 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 5:23pm »
    on Sep 7th, 2006, 3:20pm, Airlineslover wrote:
    This will be my first visit to Melbourne.

Welcome to Melbourne!
    Have a good trip.

9V-JKL
    « Reply # 7 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 10:16pm »
    My one and only time to MEL was on SQ237 and that day, fog caused SQ227 to divert to ADL before resuming to MEL and it landed almost 10:30.

And yes, 773 seats are much better and 744 seats

KeithMEL1985
    « Reply # 8 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 08:09am »
    The SQ237/238 service is my staple on the MEL-SIN run in economy. Decent departure/arrival times at both ends. That's unless my schedule forces me to pick either of the other 2 services to avoid awkward transit times.

In Raffles class however.......

« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2006, 08:11am by KeithMEL1985 »

Airlineslover
    « Reply # 9 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 08:55am »
    Thanks guys for your replies. I'm so excited and looking forward for this trip

By the way, is the fog problem usual in MEL, as I have had couple of friends who have their flights cancelled or delayed flying to or from MEL cause of the weather.
    « Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2006, 08:56am by Airlineslover »

KeithMEL1985
    « Reply # 10 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 09:14am »
    on Sep 8th, 2006, 08:55am, Airlineslover wrote:
    By the way, is the fog problem usual in MEL, as I have had couple of friends who have their flights cancelled or delayed flying to or from MEL cause of the weather.

You're arriving in summer when fog wouldn't be as much of a concern. I personally wouldn't worry about it.
    « Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2006, 09:15am by KeithMEL1985 »

Airlineslover
    « Reply # 11 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 10:51pm »
    on Sep 8th, 2006, 09:14am, KeithMEL1985 wrote:
    You're arriving in summer when fog wouldn't be as much of a concern. I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Good point. Didn't realise about that. Thanks.
    « Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2006, 10:28am by Airlineslover »

Airlineslover
    « Reply # 12 on: Sep 14th, 2006, 3:35pm »
    Hi all,

Thanks for all of the information. My family has been booked on SQ237. Really appreciate for all the details from all of you.

KeithMEL1985
    « Reply # 13 on: Sep 14th, 2006, 3:51pm »
    on Sep 14th, 2006, 3:35pm, Airlineslover wrote:
    Hi all,

Thanks for all of the information. My family has been booked on SQ237. Really appreciate for all the details from all of you.

No worries - and I'm more than happy to help should you require further information about Melbourne.

Airlineslover
    « Reply # 14 on: Sep 14th, 2006, 4:09pm »
    on Sep 14th, 2006, 3:51pm, KeithMEL1985 wrote:
    No worries - and I'm more than happy to help should you require further information about Melbourne.

Thanks so much for ** offer. I still haven't seen the itinerary yet. Only know that it's a 5 days trip. Haven't booked for the MEL-ADL flight as well. We'll have one free day.. Still thinking of where to go for this free day. I'm quite busy these days and haven't had time to look for any information about Melbourne.

Nevertheless, the return tickets (ADL-SIN) for my family (altogether 11) still not confirmed and they are still on the waitlist
    « Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2006, 4:10pm by Airlineslover »

KeithMEL1985
    « Reply # 15 on: Sep 14th, 2006, 6:47pm »
    on Sep 14th, 2006, 4:09pm, Airlineslover wrote:
    Thanks so much for ** offer. I still haven't seen the itinerary yet. Only know that it's a 5 days trip. Haven't booked for the MEL-ADL flight as well. We'll have one free day.. Still thinking of where to go for this free day. I'm quite busy these days and haven't had time to look for any information about Melbourne.

Nevertheless, the return tickets (ADL-SIN) for my family (altogether 11) still not confirmed and they are still on the waitlist

Best to book domestic flights asap to get in on the cheap deals.
    Last edited by shortfinals; 4 November 2006, 12:21 PM.

Alright. My family has been on the long long WL for ADL-SIN and in the end have to give up and fly back from SYD. However, SYD-SIN is totally full as well, only 6 out of 11 was able to get the seat In the end, reaching the ticketing date, the whole group has to be spilt into 2. One group (6 ppl) flying SQ while another 5 flying MH The TA changed my family to SQ227 instead of 237 as they are flying with the whole tour group for the trip in MEL.

Problem: The MH group won't arrive till 1 hour later than SQ227 (SQ227 arrive at 7:15am). Giving the busy morning arrivals, I'll assume they have to wait for a long time for Customs Clearance? The TA mentioned that he will contact the agent in MEL to wait till everybody arrives, but I'm worrying about the situation. I'm afraid if other people will be grouchy. On the other hand, I won't arrive MEL until 8:55am unless the custom clearance takes long enough cox of the busy morning arrival.

What does everybody else think about this situation? Is it possible that every side could reach the arrival hall at the time closer to each other?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Airlineslover; 17 November 2006, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Airlineslover View Post
      Alright. My family has been on the long long WL for ADL-SIN and in the end have to give up and fly back from SYD. However, SYD-SIN is totally full as well, only 6 out of 11 was able to get the seat In the end, reaching the ticketing date, the whole group has to be spilt into 2. One group (6 ppl) flying SQ while another 5 flying MH The TA changed my family to SQ227 instead of 237 as they are flying with the whole tour group for the trip in MEL.

Problem: The MH group won't arrive till 1 hour later than SQ227 (SQ227 arrive at 7:15am). Giving the busy morning arrivals, I'll assume they have to wait for a long time for Customs Clearance? The TA mentioned that he will contact the agent in MEL to wait till everybody arrives, but I'm worrying about the situation. I'm afraid if other people will be grouchy. On the other hand, I won't arrive MEL until 8:55am unless the custom clearance takes long enough cox of the busy morning arrival.

What does everybody else think about this situation? Is it possible that every side could reach the arrival hall at the time closer to each other?

Thanks in advance.
      It depends on what gets marked on your immigration form. Immigration officers mark stuff down on your card, and when you check out through customs - it'll have a bearing on whether you get shunted down the green or red lane. Green - quicker obviously, but you still get x-rayed. Red - could be a while as they'll go through your stuff with more detail. Depends really.

Comment

Originally posted by shortfinals View Post
        It depends on what gets marked on your immigration form. Immigration officers mark stuff down on your card, and when you check out through customs - it'll have a bearing on whether you get shunted down the green or red lane. Green - quicker obviously, but you still get x-rayed. Red - could be a while as they'll go through your stuff with more detail. Depends really.
        Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Just completed this trip last week. Thanks people for your helps and replies.

Customs clearance at MEL was fast, and the luggage was out when they reached the belt.

Comment

Working...
          X