Recommendations for Niagara Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for Niagara Falls

So, an upcoming trip needs finalising and we turn to the good folks on this forum to assist if possible. So far the only mention Google shows of 'Niagara Falls' on SQTalk happens to be this post... which we cannot use as we're strictly only able to stay on the US-side of the falls.

We need a suggestion for the most recommended flight/carrier (not by car) to get from our hotel in Manhattan to BUF (Buffalo BNIA)? Which airport is generally preferred when flying to Niagara? It will be deep winter when we go...

Any other associated Niagara tips would be appreciated. We'll be staying one night and it's looking like the US-side Sheraton At The Falls at the moment (it's either that or the Four Points). Anyone tried it? Does it have much of a view?

Thanks in advance!

Fly: B6
    Stay: Don't know...

Comment

Thanks very much 9V-JKL!

For B6, the one concern I have is it departs ex-JFK. Not LGA or EWR. Which is closer/most convenient by public transport from Manhattan? For all intents and purposes, this is an 'inaugural' visit for us, so bear in mind I speak without a clue about the New York airport system in general. (Will go to Google now but first-hand experiences are always more accurate)

Departing Flight #66
      JFK-BUF
      11:00 AM - 12:22 PM

Returning Flight #109
      BUF-JFK
      11:27 AM - 12:44 PM

This has better timings (return-wise, we can make it back to NYC for lunch on Sunday) than CO which is the next closest timing according to Skyscanner:

10:30
      New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
      Arrive:
      11:51
      Buffalo, NY (BUF)
      Travel Time:
      1 hr 21 mn
      Flight: CO4838

Operated by COMMUTAIR DBA CONTINENTAL CONNECTION.
      Aircraft: Bombardier Q300
      Note: Flight 4838 is serviced by a non-jet equipment type. (!)

12:18
      Sun., 22 Jan., 2012
      Buffalo, NY (BUF)
      Arrive:
      13:58
      Sun., 22 Jan., 2012
      New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
      Travel Time:
      1 hr 40 mn

Again, are there advantages of flying out of EWR rather than JFK? Sounds like an SQ non-stop vs 25/26 question, but this time, it isn't!

Comment

If taxi/limo is your main mode of transportation, both JFK and EWR are about the same in distance. LGA though is the closest to the city but flights are a tad limited. Without traffic jams, both JFK and EWR are about an hour and costs about US$80.

If you are staying in mid-town NYC i.e. around 33rd St/6 & 7th Ave, you can consider taking a train from Penn Station (underneath Madison Sq Garden) to Newark Airport (there's a Newark City stop - make sure you state clearly you're heading to the airport when buying tickets). I would recommend this mode only if you're travelling light. The train is a regular commuter and it can get crowded depending on time of day/week and they only have luggage racks above the seats (not a problem if it's light and you are not height-challenged). BTW, you also need to change train at one stop to get onto the EWR airport monorail.

I have never taken the train to JFK but info can be found here.

There are also a multitude of mini-buses to both airports, if you have time on your hand.

I visited Niagara Falls was from the Canadian side and I drove from YYZ - an easy 2-hour drive. We didn't stay the night. Though I've not seen the falls from the US side I've been told that the view is better from the Canadian side. Do make sure you get a day and night views of the falls - they are both spectacular in different ways. This time of the year is cold so make sure you dress and if possible bring a hot flask of coffee/sake/brandy if you're going at night. Trust me, the comfort level increases, and the view and the company suddenly gets better.

Comment

CarbonMan: Thanks very much!! That's unbelievably helpful, but flight-times seem to mean LGA doesn't show anything for a Sat morning departure with a Sun noon return. I may be searching incorrectly, of course. Probably the limited flights you mention.

We haven't finalised our NYC accommodation yet (once again, never given this much thought and will only start to do so now). However it's highly likely we stick to the tried-and-true HHonors/SPG route for now.

Neither of us like switching trains in foreign cities as we just end up getting lost half the time, including a very unfortunate / expensive major detour once in Tokyo-NRT a few years back, so we tend to avoid those unless they are direct (and even then not preferred!). So likely, a direct hotel bus or a taxi/limo would work. Will do some digging to see who are the best providers of transport in that regard.

As an aside, am toying with the idea of a helicopter ride from Manhattan to the airport on our arrival/departure as that'd give us a chance to see NYC and its skyline from a very different angle. Thumbs up for unique experiences from this avid traveler!

Thanks for the tips on the Canada-side visit, however due to umm.. complications, only one of us (me) can easily cross the border and come back while the other half would be left stuck in the States, hence not a viable option this trip. Maybe sometime in the future. Reason to come back, I say...

All the infos appreciated and will also take a gander at the train schedule just to be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            As an aside, am toying with the idea of a helicopter ride from Manhattan to the airport on our arrival/departure as that'd give us a chance to see NYC and its skyline from a very different angle. Thumbs up for unique experiences from this avid traveler!
            There USED to be a scheduled service for like $159ow (even as low as $99 on a few occasions) but it has since stop operating so you'll have to charter the whole bird now. Expect >$700.

Comment

Hmm, I think tourist helicopters tend to be around $400 for 20 min rides around NYC, so the added utility is an argument in its favour. However, since we'd be having one flight during the daytime and another flight returning in the evening on different dates, it does end up costing quite a bit. Will have to think more about this one.

Which providers, do you know?

Needless to say at $159, I'd do it...

Comment

CarbonMan: Thanks for the tips on the Canada-side visit, however due to umm.. complications, only one of us (me) can easily cross the border and come back while the other half would be left stuck in the States, hence not a viable option this trip. Maybe sometime in the future. Reason to come back, I say...
                I would find the trip abit of a waste if you have to stay on the US side, the view is much better from the Canadian side as the water falls from the US side but they do have that viewing platform. The Maid of the Mist does not run during winter, but I'm pretty sure The Journey Behind the Falls is open year round.
                Last edited by Sethor; 7 December 2011, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Kyo, as a shipping man, you should also try and see the Welland Canal.... its is fantastic.... many many years ago, I was on a ship running on the Great Lakes and had a few opportunities going up the down the canal....
                  This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

However it's highly likely we stick to the tried-and-true HHonors/SPG route for now.
                    Ah, in that case I recommend the Hilton at Times Square. It's very much a business-type hotel, mind you, but the location is sweet. Get high-floor room, and the view is quite spectacular when the sky is clear. The lobby is actually on the 20th floor and one could actually miss the door to the hotel on the ground floor. But it sit right on 42nd St where all the action is at night and is a short walk to Broadway. If you're adventurous, you also have easy access to the subway!

Like your idea re the helicopter but mind you that it may land somewhere downtown and that means a half hour trip to midtown.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                      Without traffic jams, both JFK and EWR are about an hour and costs about US$80.
                      Kyo may want something more luxurious but for my NYC trips from/to JFK, I've used this company a few times (a recommendation from someone on mFT):

http://www.lincolnlimousine.com/rates/
                      US$45 + 20% gratuity + tolls from JFK to Manhattan

Basic service - no frills (fine with me).

I have never taken the train to JFK
                      I've done this twice IIRC (from JFK, the AirTrain and then the NYC subway) and it was fine but I'd think again about doing it late at night.

Ah, in that case I recommend the Hilton at Times Square. It's very much a business-type hotel, mind you, but the location is sweet. Get high-floor room, and the view is quite spectacular when the sky is clear. The lobby is actually on the 20th floor and one could actually miss the door to the hotel on the ground floor. But it sit right on 42nd St where all the action is at night and is a short walk to Broadway. If you're adventurous, you also have easy access to the subway!
                      I've stayed once at this Hilton before and agree that the location is really convenient (if you like the Times Square area - busy, noisy and bright).

For SPG, my preference having stayed a few times is the W Union Square which (for me) is a nicer area of Manhattan. The last time I stayed (March), they mentioned that it's going to be renovated (the hotel is showing its age) so best to check when this is happening.

(My only experience with Niagara is visiting from the Canadian side so there's nothing I can add.)

Comment

Kyo, the Nigara Falls is much nicer and bigger on the Canadian side. If you decide to stay in Buffolo, make sure you cross the border to Canada. It is more magnificant there. The US side is like its small little brother
                        visit my blog

Comment

Thanks everyone for the suggestions to cross the border into Canada - all pointers to do that have been duly noted and I'll repeat for the sake of those playing at home, I DO want to cross the border, but the person I'm travelling with has insufficient time/motivation/passport pages left to fit in another Canadian visa, so we have decided to stay on the USA side for now.

In fact, we're meeting with a Canadian ex-classmate of ours who has also asked us to cross the border, but we have to decline and they're crossing the border instead for lunch on Saturday.

Thanks jhm and kapitan for the suggestions. Seems more people keen on Niagara than Shanghai, lol... will Google more...

seriously, nothing I do or say is changing the mind of the person I'm travelling with...
                          Last edited by Kyo; 8 December 2011, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Free-floating barrel??

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                              Kyo may want something more luxurious but for my NYC trips from/to JFK, I've used this company a few times (a recommendation from someone on mFT):

http://www.lincolnlimousine.com/rates/
                              US$45 + 20% gratuity + tolls from JFK to Manhattan

Basic service - no frills (fine with me).

I've done this twice IIRC (from JFK, the AirTrain and then the NYC subway) and it was fine but I'd think again about doing it late at night.

I've stayed once at this Hilton before and agree that the location is really convenient (if you like the Times Square area - busy, noisy and bright).

For SPG, my preference having stayed a few times is the W Union Square which (for me) is a nicer area of Manhattan. The last time I stayed (March), they mentioned that it's going to be renovated (the hotel is showing its age) so best to check when this is happening.

(My only experience with Niagara is visiting from the Canadian side so there's nothing I can add.)
                              The taxi service is luxurious enough for me but kyo+++ might have other ideas.

No problems with the subway and air train. Very straight forward. But I guess if there are two people with luggage, it might be easier and not that expensive to take the cab instead.

Hilton Time Sq is extremely convenient for a tourist. So is the W. Don't like W Union Sq, though the location is nice and quieter.

Comment

Working...
                              X