No announcement yet.

What benefits do you get as Solitaire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What benefits do you get as Solitaire?

I am intrique by people wanting to get that Solitaire card that many are doing MRs of a lifetime...

So in a nutshell, please explain to a PPS know-nothing...what exactly are the benefits that you get as a Solitaire that makes people do crazy things?

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
    I am intrique by people wanting to get that Solitaire card that many are doing MRs of a lifetime...

So in a nutshell, please explain to a PPS know-nothing...what exactly are the benefits that you get as a Solitaire that makes people do crazy things?

It is not so much the Solitaire status but the Lifetime Solitaire status, which is only available and possible to receive by August 31st, 2007.
    With Lifetime Solitaire status you will have no more need to worry about the new rules of the PPS program, it won't matter wether you fly S$ 25,000.00 worth in PPS value or not.
    Lifetime Solitaire will give you the "God Like Treatment" SQ promises with the "new" PPS program and it will give you the peace of mind never again having to worry about re-qualifying, I think that in itself is the greatest incentive, always knowing that you will have all those priviliges; F class lounge access, priority waiting list, special check in area at SIN etc...
    Last edited by yvrcnx; 21 April 2007, 01:09 PM.

Comment

So Guy, why raise a question which you know the answer too? You are hardly a "PPS know-nothing" being one of the first of the Priority Passenger Service members - if my memory and your own press serves me right?

Comment

Originally posted by SQveteran View Post
        So Guy, why raise a question which you know the answer too? You are hardly a "PPS know-nothing" being one of the first of the Priority Passenger Service members - if my memory and your own press serves me right?
        Please don't be a know-it-all yourself... if I knew the answer would I even bother asking it here?

Yes I was the first PPS .. but back then the privileges were very basic. Even getting PPS again about 7 years ago, it was ok.. but IMO, CX's top tiers trumped PPS.

So my question again...

Comment

Please don't be a know-it-all yourself... if I knew the answer would I even bother asking it here?

Yes I was the first PPS .. but back then the privileges were very basic. Even getting PPS again about 7 years ago, it was ok.. but IMO, CX's top tiers trumped PPS.

So my question again...

Guy, it is evident from your posts on multiple boards that you are well versed with the airline industry. A name search on the flyertalk.com board shows you have read and contributed to knowledge on the same topic as you are raising here...

I put it to you again that you are raising a topic that you already know the answers to and you are hardly a "PPS Know-nothing". Please don't insult this boards intelligence by claiming otherwise as an audit trail of your contributions is clear for all to see.

Noting the above - what exactly is your motive for posting here?

Comment

Everyone - please relax.

Whether newbie or industry veteran, everyone should feel free to ask legitimate questions on SQTalk. Let's not start questioning people's motives or lack thereof.

Much can be achieved with a civil and relaxed discussion.

Cheers.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Thanks KeithMel for helping to keep the peace. I too agree that we should give Guy Betsy the benefit of the doubt. I do believe that it is not Solitaire people are making a run for but Lifetime Solitaire and I think Guy Betsy is trying to understand how much of a benefit it really is and is it worth it spending that much time and money considering how much all that would buy you otherwise, but we all have different priorities, for some it's worth it for some not. In the end it really is an individual decision.
              There might be privileges to come we might not be aware of yet.

For now I believe you get F-class check in no matter which class you fly in especially at SIN. Use of F class lounge when flying C.
              Priority at everything; waitlists, boarding, seat selection etc.
              Why don't we start adding to this list rather then doubting anyones motivation.
              It might be depressing for some of us, seeing what we might be missing out on.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                Whether newbie or industry veteran, everyone should feel free to ask legitimate questions on SQTalk. Let's not start questioning people's motives or lack thereof.

Much can be achieved with a civil and relaxed discussion.
                I agree with you. However, I also believe SQVeteran has some valid points.

Historically, Guy Betsy has consistently presented himself as the expert on a variety of topics and airlines, regardless of the level of accuracy of the information disseminated. Also, during the weeks of heated and ongoing discussions on PPS requalification, he initiated and/or participated in numerous posts on boards here and on flyertalk (SQ, CX, UA boards) criticizing SQ and complimenting CX - basically fanning the fire with a flurry of posts. Now, I happen to agree with some of the arguments presented by him and others, but the level of intensity, frequency and timing did make me wonder.

In the question about Solitaire, I would like to hear personal reasons why some PPS will go to great lengths to achieve it, when I don't think it offers that much more benefit over QPP. Sure they have higher priority for clearing waitlists and op ups, but I've never had problems clearing waitlists since becoming QPP. As for upgrades, while I rarely get upgraded as a QPP, even on supposedly 'full' flights, I'd also notice plenty of TPPs sitting in economy or business with me (and not getting op up'ed as well).

Comment

Originally posted by yvrcnx View Post
                  With Lifetime Solitaire status you will have no more need to worry about the new rules of the PPS program, it won't matter wether you fly S$ 25,000.00 worth in PPS value or not.
                  Well, until SQ decides to change the rules again...

Comment

Originally posted by sfvoyage View Post
                    I agree with you. However, I also believe SQVeteran has some valid points.

Historically, Guy Betsy has consistently presented himself as the expert on a variety of topics and airlines, regardless of the level of accuracy of the information disseminated. Also, during the weeks of heated and ongoing discussions on PPS requalification, he initiated and/or participated in numerous posts on boards here and on flyertalk (SQ, CX, UA boards) criticizing SQ and complimenting CX - basically fanning the fire with a flurry of posts. Now, I happen to agree with some of the arguments presented by him and others, but the level of intensity, frequency and timing did make me wonder.

Hei there....
                    please discuss only about the topic.
                    Not about other SQtalker
                    KeithMEL pointed out perfectly the matter. Please don't leave this message unread.

Have a great day !!!
                    There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
                    If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by sfvoyage View Post
                      In the question about Solitaire, I would like to hear personal reasons why some PPS will go to great lengths to achieve it, when I don't think it offers that much more benefit over QPP.
                      Even though it's a theoretical exercise for me , I've thought about TPP a little, and came to the conclusion that my decision process would have probably been asymmetrical.

If I were QPP now and would have to push myself to make TPP, I wouldn't do it. The cost-to-benefit ratio was whacked out of alignment by the recent changes (though the "godlike treatment" remains shrouded in mystery).

If I were already TPP, I'd try my best to maintain it. The requalification criterion doesn't seem as onerous as that for first-time qualification, and even the current privileges make a certain travel pattern very comfortable (for example, lots of Y/C travel on SQ, which makes F checkin and lounge access more convenient; travel with family and the resulting need for more luggage; shopaholic tendencies on vacations and the resulting need for more luggage).

As I said, though, a theoretical exercise for me.
                      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I once asked the OP a similar question(many years ago) on why he "ran" for CX Diamond by flying AA here and there and what benefit he derived from it? The question was not to his liking and the OP had the former(now long passed)moderator @OTF remove the post. ........

Comment

I will echo LukeGT's reminder against discussing other members on SQTalk.

Please air all grievances via the 'Report post' button (bottom left hand corner of the relevant post). This is much preferred to a public discussion of other members.

Thanks.
                          Last edited by KeithMEL; 24 April 2007, 03:59 PM. Reason: got my directions wrong!
                          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                            If I were QPP now and would have to push myself to make TPP, I wouldn't do it. The cost-to-benefit ratio was whacked out of alignment by the recent changes (though the "godlike treatment" remains shrouded in mystery).

If I were already TPP, I'd try my best to maintain it. The requalification criterion doesn't seem as onerous as that for first-time qualification, and even the current privileges make a certain travel pattern very comfortable (for example, lots of Y/C travel on SQ, which makes F checkin and lounge access more convenient; travel with family and the resulting need for more luggage; shopaholic tendencies on vacations and the resulting need for more luggage).

As I said, though, a theoretical exercise for me.
                            Well put, theoretical or not! It's all about the incremental cost required to obtain the incremental benefits.

Comment

Working...
                            X