My First Trip on the new 773s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Trip on the new 773s

So I went ahead and booked it over Memorial day. SIN-SFO (and then Chicago on UA) so I could experience SQ's new first class. I prefer the non-stop, then the stop via Narita or Hong Kong because of 1st....so this is going to be interesting. Thoughts? <GRIN>

I'm excited though.

Best wishes,
    UG

Enjoy your flight!

Please supply a trip report with lots of pics so those of us who have never been on the new plane can live vicariously through your experience.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

UG,

Sounds like fun! Please post your itinerary if possible.

Regards
      fcp

Comment

Originally posted by UrbaneGent View Post
        I prefer the non-stop, then the stop via Narita or Hong Kong because of 1st....so this is going to be interesting.
        Btw, there's no non-stop SIN-SFO. The 77W SQ15/16 flies via ICN.

Comment

Enjoy your journey on the 77W, UrbaneGent

BTW, how come SQ doesn't use the 77W for the SIN-TPE-LAX route and replace the usual 777-212(ER)?
          "Singapore Girl, You're A Great Way To Fly"

-Singapore Airlines

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewSQ011 View Post
            BTW, how come SQ doesn't use the 77W for the SIN-TPE-LAX route and replace the usual 777-212(ER)?
            SIN-TPE-LAX vv will be operated by the 77W on some days of the week come July, and daily from November.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Hi, everyone. I had my first experience on the new 777 seats a few days ago. I was on SQ16 First Class, Sin to SFO. Given all the hype, I was disappointed with the new seat and left me wondering .. am I the only one who feels the new seat is badly designed and the old (First Class sleeperette) seat is better ?

First of all, in the seating position, the seat can only incline a maximum of about 15-degrees. I find this inflexible and not as comfortable. In contrast, in both the old First and Biz Class seats, you can adjust the seat recline to any position you want to achieve maximum comfort.

The only way to get more recline, is to convert the seat to a bed. This is a manual process - you get out of the seat, adjust the seat recline back to its original position, flip the seat over. Then it becomes a fully flat bed. I find this a more comfortable "seating" position than the original seat. Then again, its more like you're lounging around, than seating.

Unfortunately, come meal times, you've to convert the bed back to a seat again. I find the flip-flopping cumbersome - especially if the stewardess had painstakingly set the bed up for sleeping (laid the duvet etc).

In the sleeping position, I also find the seat belt badly designed. Unlike normal seat belts in planes (ie. you snap together a left strap with a right strap in the middle), this one is designed like a car seat belt (ie. you snap a right strap across the body onto a hole in the left of the seat). While more secure, I find it uncomfortable when sleeping. Just like how comfortable can a person be trying to sleep in the car with seat belt fastened ? With normal seat belts, you can adjust the length so that you are both securely fastened but also comfortable. You can't make any adjustment in the new design.

The one good thing about the new seat is its width. Its really wide. I wonder though whether it really needs to be so wide ??

I also prefer the "operating system" used in the old Krisflyer entertainment system. You need a lot more "clicks" to get to your choice of movie/program in the new system compared to the old one. The only thing I like about the new system is the bigger and wider screens.

During my flight, I overheard 2 Singaporeans giving similar feedback to the stewardess, ie. that the new seats are over-hyped and the old ones are better. The stewardess told me that some passengers prefer the old seat, some like the new seat. One other complaint about the new seat is its length - not long enough for tall passengers (though it was OK for me).

Frankly speaking, SIA could have just widened the existing First Class suites, changed the screen to a bigger one .. and it'd have been a perfect new product to me.

Am I the only one in this forum who's disappointed with the new seats ? Would love to hear from the rest of you.

Comment

This certainly isn't the first complaint I've read re: the new SQ F seats. Makes me wonder if SQ will go back and revise its F seating soon.

Comment

I've flown on SQ's 777-300ER once in F and once in C. I like the new seats, except for having to stand to convert to/from a bed and I don't like the extreme width. I find it quite uncomfortable to not be able to reach both armrests at the same time. Also, the aisles are terribly narrow.

I like the new IFE and my favorite feature is the Do Not Disturb light.

Given a choice between the new F and F on the 747-400, I don't have a strong overall preference either way. I prefer the new C seat to the spacebed mainly because every seat is an aisle seat so there is never any climbing over one's seatmate.

Comment

Working...
                  X