Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ newbie: questions about F

Folks

This is my first post, so please be gentle dear readers!

For some reason, despite drooling over an SQ F experience for some years, it hasn't happened and I've always ended up heading for BA/QF/EK F or VS J in the past when travelling to the Far East/Australasia. However last Thursday I decided to change all that so I booked LHR-SIN-HKG-SIN-LHR without stopovers for this coming Easter weekend. I've already spent quite some time browsing the posts and resources on this site as well as others, but I guess this is the best place to ask some more specific questions.

My itinerary is
    LHR-SIN SQ321 744
    SIN-HKG SQ868 772
    HKG-SIN SQ861 77W
    SIN-LHR SQ322 744

So here goes:

1) As I'm travelling alone, I snagged seat 1B outward and return on the longhaul 744s: both ways it's showing about half full in F. On the old style seating 772 SIN-HKG it's wide open showing only one other pax at the moment, and I chose 1A. The 77W HKG-SIN on the other hand is full, I chose 1F. Any comments on whether these are a good/bad/indifferent options?

2) Is there any point bringing my own Bose QC2s or QC3s?

3) I haven't transferred at SIN for quite some time, certainly not since 9/11, although I have often stopped at Changi, including twice last year. Although SIN is generally a joy compared to other hubs, I assume that I will need to clear a security check at SIN. Is that on arrival, or on departure at the gate? I have scheduled only an hour between flights on the outward, so I guess it might be a steadfast walk between one flight and another without the chance of a swift one in the SQ lounge.

4) At LHR, I do not have any status on SQ although I do on VS. Can I use the VS LHR Clubhouse on an F ticket? Or the VS HKG Clubhouse? If so, what is the opinion of the SQ F lounges compared to the VS CH at LHR and HKG? Ihave used the VS CH at HKG on a number of occasions and at LHR extensively and rate them both highly, particularly at LHR. VS has a reputation for being extremely strict on entry to their Clubhouses.

5) Book the Cook: OK I admit it I am a big foodie. I have only once had what I would consider to be properly cooked red meat onboard a plane and I am sure on that occasion it was by mistake. I like my lamb and beef medium rare: if I Book the Cook, is my lamb fillet/rack or veal loin still going to be overcooked leather? Are the oriental options like the green/red/Peranakan curries hot and spicy like I like 'em, or on the bland side? Sounds like the Lobster Thermidor and Peranakan curry are a thumbs up from my reading. I also really like the idea of the Shi Quan Shi Mei. Maybe I should've added another couple of sectors to my flight plan! Here's my plan:

LHR-SIN Lobster Thermidor
    SIN-HKG Peranakan Curry
    HKG-SIN Shi Quan Shi Mei
    SIN-LHR Lamb rack

Cheers, Howard

Howard, welcome to SQTalk!

No stopovers ? In my opinion, quite extreme but others (such as those doing a similar trip but in Y) would disagree!

As far as your questions go, those which I can answer:

Originally posted by Howard Long View Post
    1) As I'm travelling alone, I snagged seat 1B outward and return on the longhaul 744s: both ways it's showing about half full in F. On the old style seating 772 SIN-HKG it's wide open showing only one other pax at the moment, and I chose 1A. The 77W HKG-SIN on the other hand is full, I chose 1F. Any comments on whether these are a good/bad/indifferent options?
    I think any seat in F is a good one. Personally, on the 744 I prefer 3A or 3F as I get the chance to see what's going on without being too close to the noise of the galley behind. On my only trip on a 77W (HKG-SIN), I chose 2A on the basis that 1A may perhaps be near the toilet.

Yes - if you search under "Bose", you'll see a thread where people discuss what they bring along.

I assume that I will need to clear a security check at SIN. Is that on arrival, or on departure at the gate? I have scheduled only an hour between flights on the outward, so I guess it might be a steadfast walk between one flight and another without the chance of a swift one in the SQ lounge.
    At the gate. With an hour, you'd easily have time to nip into the lounge for a quick drink or two.

4) At LHR, I do not have any status on SQ although I do on VS. Can I use the VS LHR Clubhouse on an F ticket? Or the VS HKG Clubhouse?
    You're entitled to use both VS CH on the basis of a SQ F ticket. I've been in the HKG one before but not the LHR one.

If so, what is the opinion of the SQ F lounges compared to the VS CH at LHR and HKG?
    The VS CH are much better.

5) Book the Cook: OK I admit it I am a big foodie. I have only once had what I would consider to be properly cooked red meat onboard a plane and I am sure on that occasion it was by mistake. I like my lamb and beef medium rare: if I Book the Cook, is my lamb fillet/rack or veal loin still going to be overcooked leather?
    I had lamb BTC last year and from memory, it was tender and juicy. Definitely not overcooked leather!

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk, Howard. Don't worry: we're always gentle here (well, mostly, at any rate ).

I'll answer the questions I'm most familiar with, and let the F experts address the ones I'm not so well-informed about.

2) Yes. QCs (either 2 or 3) provide better noise reduction than what SQ provides.

3) At SIN, security is at the departure gate. You'll have a much shorter line, however, because there tends to be a separate queue for premium pax and PPS members.

4) You should have access to the VS CH as a pax with an SQ F BP. The main advantages of the LHR SKL F relative to the LHR CH are: (1) freshly made Singapore Slings; and (2) freshly made Singapore Slings. The VS CH is very hard to beat.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        Howard, welcome to SQTalk!

No stopovers ? In my opinion, quite extreme but others (such as those doing a similar trip but in Y) would disagree!
        Sorry, I wasn't clear - I will be stopping in HKG for three nights, I meant no stopovers in SIN!

Many thanks for your reply. I think I will call them up and book my dinners now... I'm salivating already.

Cheers, Howard

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          4) The main advantages of the LHR SKL F relative to the LHR CH are: (1) freshly made Singapore Slings; and (2) freshly made Singapore Slings.
          It almost sounds like you know me too well already ;-)

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Cheers, Howard

Comment

This is my first post, so please be gentle dear readers!
            Welcome to SQTalk.
            Be gentle? Right now I prefer to be rough.

My itinerary is
            LHR-SIN SQ321 744
            SIN-HKG SQ868 772
            HKG-SIN SQ861 77W
            SIN-LHR SQ322 744
            This Thursday two SQTalkers will be on SQ317. In Y to be precise.
            When will you pass SIN? May be you will cross path with some SQTalkers.

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144

On 744, the only two seats together are 4CD and 3CD. 2D behind 1B is a single seats. 2A, 3A, 4A, 2F, 3F, 4F are single seat by the window.
            I am not fond of 1B. Too claustrophobic. And yeah, I can watch other pax being in 1B.

On 77W, with only two rows, again when traveling alone, I will prefer 2A or 2F, since I can observe the cabin better.

I am taking my QC3 in my trip. I noticed that using QC2 or QC3, the volume would not need to be set too high compare to the new headset provided on board.

4) At LHR, I do not have any status on SQ although I do on VS. Can I use the VS LHR Clubhouse on an F ticket? Or the VS HKG Clubhouse? If so, what is the opinion of the SQ F lounges compared to the VS CH at LHR and HKG? Ihave used the VS CH at HKG on a number of occasions and at LHR extensively and rate them both highly, particularly at LHR. VS has a reputation for being extremely strict on entry to their Clubhouses.
            Why not come early to LHR. Go to VS CH first. Then move to SKL, which will have announcement when to board. Thus, you will be able to make comparison.

5) Book the Cook: OK I admit it I am a big foodie. I have only once had what I would consider to be properly cooked red meat onboard a plane and I am sure on that occasion it was by mistake. I like my lamb and beef medium rare: if I Book the Cook, is my lamb fillet/rack or veal loin still going to be overcooked leather? Are the oriental options like the green/red/Peranakan curries hot and spicy like I like 'em, or on the bland side? Sounds like the Lobster Thermidor and Peranakan curry are a thumbs up from my reading. I also really like the idea of the Shi Quan Shi Mei. Maybe I should've added another couple of sectors to my flight plan! Here's my plan:

LHR-SIN Lobster Thermidor
            SIN-HKG Peranakan Curry
            HKG-SIN Shi Quan Shi Mei
            SIN-LHR Lamb rack
            Looks like many likes lobster thermidor. I had not have it for a while. It's very subjective regarding food. I like lamb ex-SIN. I did BTC ex-LHR, few times, but too bland for me. Curry peranakan is good. I don't like chicken rice anymore. I think Shi Quan Shi Mei are served on board for SIN-HKG-SIN. Not a BTC option.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
              Welcome to SQTalk.
              Be gentle? Right now I prefer to be rough.

This Thursday two SQTalkers will be on SQ317. In Y to be precise.
              When will you pass SIN? May be you will cross path with some SQTalkers.
              Well I don't think my timing is great for this as I am on a 22:15 flight, _but_ as I notice that a couple of you are due to be in the VS CH between 09:00 and 11:00 on 5 April. Although I won't be there until about 18:45, there is a big v-flyer.com get together in the LHR VS CH for their "Tokyo ***** on Tour" jolly prior to the VS900 to NRT that departs at 13:00, although I am certain they will be in the CH for a long time before that. They are a very friendly lot! I can PM them if you would like to share a convivial cocktail or five.

Why not come early to LHR. Go to VS CH first. Then move to SKL, which will have announcement when to board. Thus, you will be able to make comparison.
              Oh, don't worry, I intend to have three plus hours airside prior to my flight! I'll be taking the Virgin Limobike to the airport to ensure I'm not held up by the holiday traffic.

Cheers, Howard

Comment

Hi Howard,
                so indeed you are taking SQ 321 this Thursday? Thus arriving at SIN Friday 18:00 and continuing to SQ868 at 19:00? Well, hope to meet you at SKL F between your flight. Or else, if you are flying home on SQ322 this Sunday, we can meet up then.

Comment

Hi Howard,
                  so indeed you are taking SQ 321 this Thursday? Thus arriving at SIN Friday 18:00 and continuing to SQ868 at 19:00? Well, hope to meet you at SKL F between your flight. Or else, if you are flying home on SQ322 this Sunday, we can meet up then.
                  OK sounds good. I will PM you with my details.

Make sure you catch up with the v-flyer guys back at the LHR VS CH and say hello from me!

Cheers, Howard

Comment

Make sure you catch up with the v-flyer guys back at the LHR VS CH and say hello from me!
                    I am too shy... But definitely jjpb3 will lead me to there.
                    Are they on ba97.com?
                    Last edited by CGK; 4 April 2007, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Hi Howard,
                      I was very nice to meet you at SKL. Hope you enjoyed your flight back to LHR. Took SQ322 Sunday night. There were 6 pax in F. Is your flight solidly full?
                      Hope to meet you again soon. In London perhaps!
                      Cheers,

Comment

Hi Howard,
                        I was very nice to meet you at SKL. Hope you enjoyed your flight back to LHR. Took SQ322 Sunday night. There were 6 pax in F. Is your flight solidly full?
                        Hope to meet you again soon. In London perhaps!
                        Cheers,
                        Yes good to meet you too! Always welcome on a long journey. My flight was full, but I could not fault the service. I had a great weekend.

After seeing you I had my favourite flying experience ever on the much shorter SIN-HKG segment. I put a TR here.

Howard

Comment

Enjoy reading your HKG-SIN on the new 77W. I guess not enough time to flip the bed? And so far, not all served in the Cheinese set menu is my choice. I have to pick and choose since I am not food adventurous.
                          Yeah, I forgot to mention to you about better using VS lounge to wait for SQ flight in HKG.

Comment

Howard, thanks for the TR. Did you ask why SQ arrange for the golf cart to pick you up? Who else from F had this special golf cart treatment?

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                              Howard, thanks for the TR. Did you ask why SQ arrange for the golf cart to pick you up? Who else from F had this special golf cart treatment?
                              This is part of the Four Seasons Hotel's transfer service - quite a surprise for me!

Howard

Comment

Working...
                              X