X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will SQ launch SIN-HKG-YVR...?

Unconfirm rumour according to CathyTalk.com

http://www.cathaytalk.com/showthread.php?t=2745

Had lunch with two of SQ's marketing team member two days ago. In our chat together, they provided information that SQ is planning to aggressively lobby to fly SIN-HKG-YVR-HKG-SIN. Currently with the bilateral situation between Singapore & Canada, SIA is only allowed to operate 3 weekly flights which it currently does SIN-YVR via ICN. But soon talks will take place to change that and SQ is highly optimistic that it will gain more access to the Canadian market. In that SQ to be granted to fly with freedom between HKG & YVR and AC in return will be granted to fly to SIN via a north Asian city (most likely extending YVR-NRT to SIN with freedom between NRT-SIN). Once access is successful, SIA plans on launching daily flights from SIN to YVR and back via HKG with full 5th freedom between HKG & YVR. A 744 is planned for the route at the beginning which can come as early as DEC 07 and in the long run, the 777-300ER will take its place. The timing of these flights will be similar to that of SQ2/1 to/from SFO. At the same time, it will still maintain the 3x weekly 772 flight via ICN, making it a 10x weekly frequency on the YVR market.

If this becomes a reality, I wonder how much of a threat will this be to CX? How many passengers will actually defect from CX to SQ in their trip plans for YVR-HKG. The two SQ folks tell me that their airline brand is very popular with native HK residents and with a highly frequented route like HKG-YVR, they are highly optimistic they will have no problems filling the planes. Wow this market is getting crowded with CX, AC, O8 and now possibly SQ.

it would be fantastic|
    There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
    If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

It would be more of a threat to AC, given its brand inferiority (whether actual or perceived) to both SQ and CX, and certainly has the capacity to turn relations between both Star Alliance 'partners' from frigid to positively frosty.

I'm all for competition and choice - so bring it on!
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

The Canadian Government will ask for more than just that as there is little SIN/YVR traffic (it all goes other places).SQ/SIN GOV will have to bend over backwards to make it work like what's written above. Remember there is no air services agreement between Canada and Singapore. SQ operates on a certificate of carriage renewed yearly!

Comment

I would be very surprised to see SIN-HKG-YVR. SQ doesn't seem to be able to increase it's SIN-ICN-YVR to daily which it has been trying to do for so long. Though I would very much welcome SQ flying via HKG and ICN I doubt it will happen.

Comment

Working...
          X