BA considers buying bmi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BA considers buying bmi

Posting here as this has more of an impact on bmi than BA. JMO.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...28/cnbmi28.xml

BA considers making a bid for rival BMI

By Alistair Osborne, Business Editor

British Airways is mulling a bid for BMI, though any move would face big competition hurdles and a possible veto from the smaller airline's 30pc shareholder, German carrier Lufthansa.

Senior BA sources are known to covet BMI, which is majority-owned by its founder and chairman Sir Michael Bishop.

BMI's strategic value has been greatly enhanced by last week's "open skies" agreement because the airline has more than 12pc of the take-off and landing slots at Heathrow.

Hmm... if BA goes through with the purchase, will they do a LH/LX and absorb DC members into BAEC?
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 28 March 2007, 02:00 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

I hope BA doesn't try it, or else fails if it does try. I like the generosity of the DC.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Please God no, not BA....or anyone for that matter.

I suppose the speculation is inevitable with the skies supposedly opening up and BD having all those slots.

Comment

Bloody hope not!!!
        Can't say more for fear of rasing a certain issue.

Comment

I knew something bad was going to happen as soon as I start building up miles on BD.

I'm sorry, guys

Comment

LH would probably veto any bid by BA.

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
            I knew something bad was going to happen as soon as I start building up miles on BD.

I'm sorry, guys
            Once again - please, please don't touch AA!
            Go with CX.
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 29 March 2007, 12:37 PM.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

It's a battle between BA/AA vs. LH/BD.
              "Singapore Girl, You're A Great Way To Fly"

-Singapore Airlines

Comment

If for no other reason I can see BA wanting to do this just to stop someone else from getting their hands on the slots. However don't see it happening I'm sure the competition regulators would have a field day if BA tried this.

Comment

BA strikes secret Heathrow slots deal with BMI

British Airways, under transatlantic pressure from 'open skies', is understood to have paid £30 million for 51 slots a week

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle1591309.ece

British Airways has struck a secret deal to buy a parcel of lucrative runway slots at Heathrow from BMI British Midland, one of its biggest airline rivals.
                  The transaction, the biggest of its kind in recent years, will add to the speculation over the future of BMI, which is regarded as a prime takeover target thanks to its ownership of 12% of Heathrow’s scarce runway capacity.
                  Although neither company would comment on the deal today, it is understood BA paid around £30 million for 51 slots a week.

Comment

Working...
                  X