A345 seating changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A345 seating changes?

I heard from several sources that SQ is planning to remove all Exec Y seats on the A345 by June of next year and replacing them with an all J cabin config. The reason being that the (generally) less than 90% load factors on Y results in SQ losing $$ on SIN-LAX and SIN-EWR. Contrast this to the usually daily full loads on J instead...

Whilst I normally do not give two hoots to rumors, the source of this info appears to have some credence. I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard of this as well?

hey,
    Yea i heard that that from my dad and uncle as well.

Comment

I hope not . I am planning on flying SIN/LAX next year and after reading all the good reports about Y+ I was looking forward to flying the A345.

If so, I guess I'll have to choose between going via NRT or ICH. At least via ICH uses a 777. Does anyone know if this is going to or is a 77W as I don't really fancy all that time on a 744.

Comment

SQ do not fly from SIN to LAX via ICH, it is via either NRT or TPE. And SIN-TPE-LAX will become daily with 77W from November this year. So Maybe you should go on this flight instead. SIN-NRT-LAX I believe is using a 744.
        The Romance of Travel... Singapore Airlines

Comment

Hmmm this is surprising given that the A345s will be replaced very soon. Then again, the expense of doing the cabin retrofitting will be more than offset by the possible returns from the all-Business seats. One thing I wonder though: I know there are always long waiting lists for J seats, but does this justify converting the entire aircraft to J? I thought retaining some Economy seats might be the better way to go.
          My Cafe Adventures
          Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
          http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bubblerevolution View Post
            SIN-NRT-LAX I believe is using a 744.
            Yes, SQ12 uses a 744.
            My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Well June of next year (2007)... doesnt seem to have happened! good news

Comment

Noo.... I also want to fly A345 one day but of course no $ to go in J! Anyway if it were an all J plane it'd look more like an oversized Boeing Business Jet already right? The small cute 737 with 45 seats?

Comment

Originally posted by N120KF View Post
                  I heard from several sources that SQ is planning to remove all Exec Y seats on the A345 by June of next year and replacing them with an all J cabin config.
                  Would that be with the new J seats in a 1-2-1 configuration?
                  Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
                  Hmmm this is surprising given that the A345s will be replaced very soon.
                  Very soon? The only aircraft that SQ have on order that could replace the A340-500s is the 787-9 which is due to start entering the SQ fleet in 2011. I wouldn't call that "very soon." Four years is not too short a lifetime for a new seating configuration. The A340-500s entered the fleet 3 to 3.5 years ago and it's about time to replace the interiors.

Comment

Originally posted by sporadic View Post
                    Noo.... I also want to fly A345 one day but of course no $ to go in J! Anyway if it were an all J plane it'd look more like an oversized Boeing Business Jet already right? The small cute 737 with 45 seats?
                    I've never liked the 737. Give me an Airbus A320 anytime. Then again, everytime I see a 737, it reminds me of a cute, gracious koi.
                    My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                      Would that be with the new J seats in a 1-2-1 configuration?

Very soon? The only aircraft that SQ have on order that could replace the A340-500s is the 787-9 which is due to start entering the SQ fleet in 2011. I wouldn't call that "very soon." Four years is not too short a lifetime for a new seating configuration. The A340-500s entered the fleet 3 to 3.5 years ago and it's about time to replace the interiors.
                      I thought there was talk that the A345s will be replaced by the B777-200LR? I guess when I said the A345s would be replaced very soon, I meant that the airline doesn't intend to buy more such aircraft and the existing aircraft will not be retained for as long as, say, the B747 (13-15 years each).
                      My Cafe Adventures

Comment

I thought there was talk that the A345s will be replaced by the B777-200LR?
                        That idea died because the resale value of the A340-500s is too low. The A340-500s will remain in the SQ fleet at least until 2011 -- unless SQ drop the SIN-LAX and SIN-EWR nonstops.

Comment

That idea died because the resale value of the A340-500s is too low. The A340-500s will remain in the SQ fleet at least until 2011 -- unless SQ drop the SIN-LAX and SIN-EWR nonstops.
                          That's very good news for me! I love the A345s. That gives me 4 more years to enjoy these classic flights. Sadly, I have only been on SIN-LAX-SIN thus far. No chance to try the longer EWR routes.
                          My Cafe Adventures

Comment

I love the A345s.
                            I like them too. However, I think you'll like the 787-9 even more. It'll be just a bit wider, even quieter, and have much better cabin air.

Comment

I like them too. However, I think you'll like the 787-9 even more. It'll be just a bit wider, even quieter, and have much better cabin air.
                              If I remember correctly, the B787 is supposed to be a mid- to long-haul aircraft, with the Airbus A350 as a competitor? Is it supposed to an ultra-long-haul jet like the A345 and B772LR? I hope I've not gotten my facts wrong?
                              My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Working...
                              X