Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of flying to appeals to you? Puddle Jumper or Luxury Liner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of flying to appeals to you? Puddle Jumper or Luxury Liner?

This thread got me into a discussion with an unnamed SQTalker, and provided the inspiration for this thread topic - would be great to hear your viewpoints.

I counted 266 singles between KUL and SIN that I've done already - always invariably a boeing twin, sometimes bigger, sometimes smaller. Sometimes if I flew with the red and blue kite, i got an A330 (for a change!).

This Berjaya Air service though, has caught my eye. It has all the hallmarks of an interesting "voyage", rather than a "shuttle service". I'm booking one on monday, and I can't remember being this excited about a flight.

I sure like sitting in the nose of a 744, or the upperdeck. I like 777's too, but for short journeys like this, nothing beats a high-winged, turboprop that flies lower, has bigger windows and doesn't have a flight deck door.

What kind of flying appeals to you? A mix of both? Strictly Pressurised? or Puddle Jumpers all the way?

Note: Obviously only applies when you have a choice of both on a given sector. Even I'm not mad enough to get in a prop plane to go SIN-LHR. .......

Hmm... I like flights only when the fuselage can fit 7 abreast or more in Y although preferrably not sitting in Y.

So I guess... Luxury Liner it is.

Comment

I'd lean more towards luxury liner.

But I rather enjoyed my ride on a Dash 8 yesterday morning. It was just different and a nice change from the jet planes.
      Last edited by KeithMEL; 24 March 2007, 01:32 AM.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        Even I'm not mad enough to get in a prop plane to go SIN-LHR. .......
        But isn't that the Romance of Travel ? How I imagine it anyway...

Where's thre only one class - First - and it WAS a real occasion to get on a plane! Several weeks of travel required to get to far away Asia (rather than a weekend destination for some nowadays ). Landings on dusty airfields in exotic lands to refuel. Being able to trace your way slowly across the map and look out of the window at the scenery below!

Comment

On a day to day basis definitely luxury liner is the way for me. However when I take a little prop plane it tends to be a in a more out of the way place so although quite often very uncomfortable there is more of a sense of adventure.

Comment

Luxury liner for me. I appreciate creature comforts too much.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I would love to take a month or two off, take a prop plane and fly something like SIN-PBH-KTM-KHI-AMM-CAI-NBO-DAR-LOS-DKR-CMN-LIS-BCN-NCE-GVA-PMO-ATH-IST-etc spending a couple of days at each location...

Comment

Megatops.

Comment

Luxury liner for me.

Took a turbo prop flight in Papua New Guinea and had to change from a window seat due to the rain. It was raining outside and I was getting wet.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl
                    My dream routing might go something like this In a DC-3.

Also quite easily done with a Golden goose 222/322 combo - but not half as much fun I can tell you.
                    LOL... amazing
                    There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
                    If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Having missed this thread originally, I'll also throw my hat into 'I love Props' ring.

As mentioned in the other thread, a great one was Kota Kinabalu to Mulu a few years ago. But the best one for sure was the return flight I took on a Tropic Air Cessna Caravan from Belize City Municipal Airstrip down to Punta Gorda. It stopped twice on the way down and back, at some 'interesting' airfields.

I sat next to the pilot for the last leg into PG and we had to circle as school had just finished and the kids were crossing the runway !!.

https://www.tropicair.com/destinations.htm

Comment

Hey, flew with Tropic Air a few years back to Caye Caulker.... Sort of a R&R after criss-crossing the in the deep from Mexico to Guatemala.

Comment

Having seen this thread pop up again today made me think ... for those people who prefer a luxury liner experience (first class air travel, luxury hotels etc), why not actually go on a real luxury liner ?

Perhaps not one of the largest cruise ships but something smaller and more intimate but still big enough to have most of the facilities wanted, e.g. some of them have several hundred passengers, all cabins/suites having a sea view and balcony, fine dining and other formal/informal restaurants, complimentary food and drink, spas, gyms and swimming pools, a choice of activities and entertainment, a very low pax to staff ratio of say 1:1.5, a new destination every day or so etc.

Whilst there's something magical about flying, I can imagine (never having been on a cruise before) that there are also similar experiences, e.g. entering/leaving one of the world's great harbours, shore excursions to places which you simply can't easily get to by plane etc.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Comment

I think Props are fun rides. My 1st was LAX-SAN. Not exactly exotic but fun nonetheless. Anyways, we were hugging the California coast down so yes, it was really rather scenic.

Still looking forward to my Luxury Puddle Jumper Liner ride: ie G550

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              Still looking forward to my Luxury Puddle Jumper Liner ride: ie G550
                              The G550 has a range of 5800 nm (10,742km), which is further than the range of the B767-200 or -300 and close to doube that of the A320 family. That's quite a puddle it can jump.

Comment

Working...
                              X