Clueless Sydney taxi drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clueless Sydney taxi drivers

I think it's vital that visitors to Sydney learn how to use the local transport as the taxi drivers there are an absolute joke, and the most useless and incompetent I have come across anywhere in the world.

This year among many farcical episodes with Sydney taxis I have had them pick me up at SYD and not only not know where the 4P is, but not even knowing Darling Harbour!. We also got picked up in Oxford St a few weeks back, and he couldn't find the SOTP which was a mile away, up the same road and a right.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    ...not even knowing Darling Harbour!. We also got picked up in Oxford St a few weeks back, and he couldn't find the SOTP which was a mile away, up the same road and a right.
    That's actually quite funny and a clear signal for you not to get in in the first place...

Comment

Try Melbourne.... its even worse.
      My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Mind you, playing dumb and being dumb are two, seperate and very different things when it comes to Sydney cabbies - I used to take great satisfaction in having arguments with Cab drivers in Sydney whilst trying to hail them for guests...

Many a cabbie has hid his license suspended for stupidity...

Comment

I also believe that it is in the best interest of the passenger to acquaint themselves with the route to their hotel when in Sydney. I know it seems stupid to do it but you can easily save yourself $AUD20-30 by doing it...

I can count too many people that have fallen victim to Cabbie greed...

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
            I also believe that it is in the best interest of the passenger to acquaint themselves with the route to their hotel when in Sydney. I know it seems stupid to do it but you can easily save yourself $AUD20-30 by doing it...
            Passengers shouldn't have to do that, though.

That's why, for all its warts*, London has in its cabbies a unique selling proposition.

*Not an invitation for MAN Flyer or mec to detail them.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

depending on which part of oxford street it is, the walk is actually do able. But sydney Taxi drivers have definitely picked up a bad habit from our asian neighbours.

Playing dumb, going a longer route, stopping suddenly at traffic lights, etc...

Comment

All cities can be bad. I lived in Singapore for 4 years and only recently left, the second last taxi driver I had there told me I should consider getting out of the cab as he was new and did not know where to go anywhere on the island. As usual (even though I lived there) I had a map saved on my iPhone, even with the map this guy still screwed it up, at one point missing an exit and trying to reverse on a major 3 lane road, at that point I told him to stop and go straight ahead. After that he drove very slowly like he was expecting me to give an instruction at any time.

This guy was completely useless. And don't get me started on change of shift drivers who jam up taxi queues without actually picking anyone up...

I feel for you, Sydney and Melbourne can be difficult, they remind me of the drivers at Schipol, ie: not there for your service, but you are lucky they pick you up.

I always take a map with me, but then I am used to taking public transport from trains to hotels etc.

Comment

ozdude,

At least the cabbie was honest with you from the start

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                    ozdude,

At least the cabbie was honest with you from the start
                    It is annoying though, and like change of shift taxis, when they pull over to pick you up (and then decide otherwise) lots of perfectly good other taxis drive past, so you have to keep waiting. These days I just ignore change of shift.

Comment

Originally posted by RHG View Post
                      depending on which part of oxford street it is, the walk is actually do able.
                      It was definitely walkable, which makes the fact he couldn't get us there even more ridiculous. I would have walked it if I had been alone, but the better half has the final say on these matters and she wanted to take a taxi!.

Originally posted by ozdude View Post
                      All cities can be bad. I lived in Singapore for 4 years and only recently left, the second last taxi driver I had there told me I should consider getting out of the cab as he was new and did not know where to go anywhere on the island. As usual (even though I lived there) I had a map saved on my iPhone, even with the map this guy still screwed it up, at one point missing an exit and trying to reverse on a major 3 lane road, at that point I told him to stop and go straight ahead. After that he drove very slowly like he was expecting me to give an instruction at any time.

This guy was completely useless. And don't get me started on change of shift drivers who jam up taxi queues without actually picking anyone up...

I feel for you, Sydney and Melbourne can be difficult, they remind me of the drivers at Schipol, ie: not there for your service, but you are lucky they pick you up.

I always take a map with me, but then I am used to taking public transport from trains to hotels etc.
                      I rarely take taxis at Schiphol (I usually base myself at the Schiphol Sheraton and travel around by train from there) so can't compare but I have lost count of the taxi journeys I have done in Singapore, and never have the same problem you get in Oz of just sheer incompetence from people who clearly should not be doing the job they are that bad. On our last visit to Sydney each time we got a taxi from the Hyatt the staff there made the driver prove he knew where we wanted to go, and having to do that in an international city like Sydney is farcical.

I agree about the problem with shift changes in Singapore though, that's been an issue for years now.

Comment

Sydney taxis are useless but that's not that different from anywhere else, the main difference is they are bl00dy expensive as well!
                        Singapore taxis are right up there with not having a clue but in the main so long as your not trapped in the CBD, Peak Hour trap they are not that expensive

Comment

i think singapore taxis are expensive. But it depends on your salary and earning needs and relative expenses as well. Why do posters here and locals concur that some taxis will judge pax by their demeanor and dress and decide if they can do sneaky stuff like going the long route.

Comment

Originally posted by RHG View Post
                            i think singapore taxis are expensive. But it depends on your salary and earning needs and relative expenses as well. Why do posters here and locals concur that some taxis will judge pax by their demeanor and dress and decide if they can do sneaky stuff like going the long route.
                            You think Singapore taxis are expensive? haha I envy the taxi system Singapore has, if you think Singapore is expensive your going to get a shock if you catch one in pretty much any Western country.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethor View Post
                              You think Singapore taxis are expensive? haha I envy the taxi system Singapore has, if you think Singapore is expensive your going to get a shock if you catch one in pretty much any Western country.
                              Whilst they are a hell of a lot cheaper than Europe or Australia, you need to view the fares in relation to the salary of an average Singaporean. I would not call it expensive but neither would I call it dirt cheap.
                              God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Working...
                              X