Upgrading on QF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading on QF

Flyertalk won't allow me to post for some reason, so I'm going here for help.

So, I have 79000 miles, but have a Bronze status. I'm looking to upgrade both sectors (PER - MEL - PER) on 8/4 and 14/4.

According to www.seatcounter.com ,On Flight 648, the avaliability for 'U' class is U9. And on the return leg, the avaliability are as follows:

QF 485 14/4 - U3
    QF 775 14/4 - U1

The question i'm asking is; How are my chances of upgrading on both sectors of this itenery?

Thank you.

Welcome to SQTalk, SQ225. [Or have I already done my 'welcome' post with ya? can't remember ]

In response to your query:
    1) Your fare can only be upgraded if it's NOT a red e-deal. Check the fare basis - if it's N, O, or Q it's not upgradeable.

2) The way QF does upgrades is as follows:
    - Waitlist everyone who puts in a request in the award bucket of the desired COS (U in this case)
    - Release the number of upgrades into the relevant class 24 hours or less prior to departure
    - Assign upgrades according to their formula, ie status. CL>WP>SG>PS>NB. The fare booked will also play a part. An SG on a B fare will clear the WL ahead of another SG with a K fare, for example.

3) As an NB, you'll be behind a whole lot of people unfortunately. By all means put in a request and you'll be put on the U waitlist - your miles won't be deducted if the upgrade doesn't happen.

4) The current U availability you're looking at is NOT the number of upgrades that will happen. It's the number of seats available for full redemption with QF or oneworld miles. As stated above, the 'real' U availability for upgrades will only be viewable about 24 hrs prior to flight. You'll be able to track your upgrade status in "Manage your booking" on qantas.com. IME if your WL hasn't cleared 12 hours prior to departure, then it'd in all likelihood not clear altogether.

5) The trick is to look at the D and C buckets - if they're still willing to sell discount business class seats very close to departure then they probably will open them up for upgrades about 24 hrs or less prior to flight. [Unlike *A, full biz fare on oneworld books into J]

6) If you have QP membership - you can do on departure upgrades at the lounge subject to availability.

7) I'd book myself on QF485 over 775. If you're stuck in whY, you'll still get PTV as that flight is operated by a 743. If you're upgraded - you get the Dreamtime seats (old international J) which are rather comfy. QF775 is operated by a 738 with Millennium seats in J and the same seats in whY as QF485, minus PTV.

edited to add: I've been reliably informed that you *could* be confirmed instantly since it's a domestic upgrade. So go go go!!

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 23 March 2007, 11:53 AM. Reason: additional info about domestic upgrades
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Thanks for that detailed answer.

Instead of Upgrading, i might try to book a ticket on J Class online. There is avaliability, but 72000 points for J class ex PER to MEL return is pretty steep.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ225 View Post
        Thanks for that detailed answer.

Instead of Upgrading, i might try to book a ticket on J Class online. There is avaliability, but 72000 points for J class ex PER to MEL return is pretty steep.
        Not worth it - since you still have to pay fuel fines and taxes. I'd save my points for an international upgrade but YMMV.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I got the return leg (QF 485) comfirmed upgrade. Its on a 747-300, so the business class seat will be different to that on 737's, A330 and 767's.

I still prefer SQ over QF anyday

Comment

Oh and, another question, If you're travelling in Domestic Business, you aren't allowed Lounge access right?

Comment

Oh and, another question, If you're travelling in Domestic Business, you aren't allowed Lounge access right?
              Correct. Unless you're a Qantas Club member or at least QFF Gold/oneworld sapphire. And you miss me at MEL by a day.

You can always get someone to guest you in. Try www.frequentflyer.com.au [under 'Meetings and Social Events', click on 'QP lounge meetings']. There's something similar on QF FT but AFF is much more comprehensive for domestic QPs.

Then again you only need to check in 30 minutes before departure for QF mainline domestic flights so lounge access shouldn't matter too much? Assuming you have no baggage, even rocking up 20 mins to departure is fine with OLCI and access to a printer.
              Last edited by KeithMEL; 27 March 2007, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Yes, you're right, I don't really need lounge access. Priority Check-in, Boarding and Luggage Handling is all I really wanted. The Business Class seat? Thats just an extra bonus.

Comment

Yes, you're right, I don't really need lounge access. Priority Check-in, Boarding and Luggage Handling is all I really wanted. The Business Class seat? Thats just an extra bonus.
                  Since you have bags to check in I'd suggest turning up a little earlier than the 30 mins cut off. These CityFlyer flights can be very full in both Y and J, leading to long lines at both Y and J check in counters.

Comment

Good news for you, SQ225:

From 1APR07, domestic business class pax can access the Qantas Club lounges. No guests are allowed however.

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...raveller/index

New for Domestic Business Passengers

Qantas Club Access - Now you can use the Qantas Club when you next fly in Business domestically. We have opened our doors to our domestic Business passengers to enjoy the facilities offered in the Qantas Club across our domestic network.
                    Last edited by KeithMEL; 2 April 2007, 04:06 PM. Reason: insertion of link

Comment

That was unexpected!

But, it is good news aswell. I wouldn't think that there will be an overflow of passengers in the lounge because of this though. Most frequent flyers are either SG > or have QP anyway. Maybe the odd Business traveller, from overseas here and then.

However, a welcoming decision.

Comment

That was unexpected!

But, it is good news aswell. I wouldn't think that there will be an overflow of passengers in the lounge because of this though. Most frequent flyers are either SG > or have QP anyway. Maybe the odd Business traveller, from overseas here and then.

However, a welcoming decision.
                        It is actually a response to DJ which has been allowing travelers on 'Corporate Plus' fares to enter The Lounge on a complimentary basis. Bearing in mind that The Lounge is accessible to anyone willing to pay the 30 dollar entry fee, I wouldn't think overcrowding in the QP would be a problem.
                        Last edited by KeithMEL; 2 April 2007, 05:45 PM.

Comment

You are now!
                          http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...raveller/index

Comment

Working...
                          X