NRT to Tokyo by train and transport to Hotels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NRT to Tokyo by train and transport to Hotels

A quick one for the Tokyo experts on here,.

My brother is taking his daughter to Tokyo shortly and after hearing how much the taxi in from NRT is has decided to go for the train into town. He has asked me where exactly that will get him in the city, and also which of Hilton, SPG and Hyatts are easily accessed from the station and worth staying in for 3 days as a first time tourist. He also doesn't want to be breaking the bank to stay there either, not easy in Tokyo I know.

I can't help him with any of this as I know nish about Japan, so any advice assistance greatly appreciated.

MTIA.

The (one and only in Tokyo ?) Hilton is in Shinjuku. I've not stayed there.

As for the others (all of which I have stayed in):

Westin - about a 10-minute walk (all indoors) from Ebisu station
    Sheraton Miyako - a shuttle bus from Meguro station (the stop next to Ebisu on the JR Yamamote line)
    Grand Hyatt - Roppongi
    Park Hyatt - Shinjuku (about 10-15 minutes walk from the station but they also have a shuttle bus)
    Hyatt Regency - Shinjuku (about 10-15 minutes walk from the station but they also have a shuttle bus)

None of the airport trains stop at any of the above stations so your brother would have to take a train (there are several going to places like Shinagawa, Tokyo station, Ueno etc) and then change lines.

So I would recommend that it's best that he takes a so called Limousine Bus (similar to those in ICN). Direct from the airport to either the hotel or nearby and then a taxi ride (some of the hotels don't have frequent Limousine Bus service).

To start with, I suggest he finds out which of the above hotels he can get at a price which won't break the bank (assuming he can't use points or points+cash). Then think about how to get there.

I don't know about the Hilton but personally, if I'm paying cash for a SPG/Hyatt, I would stay at the Sheraton Miyako or the Hyatt Regency. Both are not luxurious but are fine (I mean about the same or better decor than, e.g., the LM Piccadilly without the central location; and much better service than the LM). The others are significantly more expensive and if you're in Tokyo, you should be out and about anyway rather than sitting in a hotel.

Comment

I forgot to ask if your brother has a reason for wanting to take the train ?

The main reason may be if they are going to be travelling around by train in Japan. A 7-day rail pass costs about the same as a return journey from Tokyo to Osaka/Kyoto/etc by bullet train but entitles you to unlimited free train travel (on JR lines) during that period. That would include some trains from NRT to town, e.g. the Narita Express (which will take him to Shinagawa or Tokyo station - from there it's a train ride on the circular JR Yamanote line to Shinjuku, Ebisu or Meguro as mentioned above).

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        The (one and only in Tokyo ?) Hilton is in Shinjuku. I've not stayed there.
        <snip>
        Park Hyatt - Shinjuku (about 10-15 minutes walk from the station but they also have a shuttle bus)
        Hyatt Regency - Shinjuku (about 10-15 minutes walk from the station but they also have a shuttle bus)

None of the airport trains stop at any of the above stations so your brother would have to take a train (there are several going to places like Shinagawa, Tokyo station, Ueno etc) and then change lines.
        Incorrect. The Narita Express train/NEX *does* stop at Shinjuku. I've used it to stop there (as late as in February this year, so unless they've just stopped going...). From there, it's a Hilton shuttle bus from just outside one of the exits at the station.

I've had a few stays now at Hilton Shinjuku and I like it. The rooms are very acceptable, and there's plenty to do around Shinjuku. I especially enjoyed their Junior Suite, which I'd rate better than their Deluxe Executive rooms. The breakfast buffet is also not bad, and the views of Shinjuku are definitely memorable if you get a high room. I would go back, especially now that there's free Internet included (very pricey otherwise).

So I would recommend that it's best that he takes a so called Limousine Bus (similar to those in ICN). Direct from the airport to either the hotel or nearby and then a taxi ride (some of the hotels don't have frequent Limousine Bus service).
        I agree - the Limousine Bus is not just cheaper, it's actually FASTER (not even including the fuffing about for a shuttle bus to the train station). Of course, if your goal is to ride the Green Cabin on the NEX solo, this will almost certainly ensure it...

(The NEX is slow as, don't even bother with it...)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
          The Narita Express train/NEX *does* stop at Shinjuku. I've used it to stop there (as late as in February this year, so unless they've just stopped going...).
          You're right - it's just my dodgy memory.

MAN Flyer - as mentioned, your brother should sort out his hotel first and then look at transportation. He can either look at this (English) website:

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/hotelguide/

Or (what I do) simply wait until you arrive and go to the Limousine Bus counter in arrivals. The people there speak English - tell them your hotel and they'll tell you the bus to take (including whether you subsequently need to take a taxi if the bus doesn't go direct to the hotel).

Comment

Just to make it totaly clear, the Narita Express train/NEX stops at Tokyo and Shinjuku stations. The train is quicker than the limouinebus at getting into the city and it is easy enough to get a taxi from the stations to the hotels. Unless your brother can speak Japanese, make sure he has the hotel address in Japanese, as not many taxi drivers speak English or read it.

Suica or Pasmo cards are a good idea for getting around in Tokyo, can be used on the underground, buses, city trains and some taxis, also in vending machines. If your brother already has a JRPass go for the Pasmo card.

As for hotels the Grand Hyatt - Roppongi is quite good for a first time stay in Tokyo, easy to get to places from (about 5min walk to underground station) and good night life. The Park Hyatt -Shinjuku http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9304 will probably be a bit over what your brother wants to spend, you do get great views from the New York Bar/Gril thou!
            Last edited by Singapore Sling; 19 October 2010, 01:59 AM.

Comment

...the Limousine Bus is not just cheaper, it's actually FASTER (not even including the fuffing about for a shuttle bus to the train station). Of course, if your goal is to ride the Green Cabin on the NEX solo, this will almost certainly ensure it...

(The NEX is slow as, don't even bother with it...)
              This is not true at all. NEX is much faster. I use it to shave off an hour during rush hour arrivals. It can be the same price or less than the Friendly Bus if you combine it with a Suica Card. Green Car is ¥5,000, which includes a ¥2,000 Yen Suica Card. Regular Car is less.
              Last edited by HUGE AL; 19 October 2010, 08:39 AM.
              HUGE AL

Comment

I forgot to ask if your brother has a reason for wanting to take the train ?
                Cost!. He's been told a taxi into the city is up to US$200 !!. Again, I couldn't comment on that as I don't know. My Japanese experience is limited to 1 night in the Hilton Narita, and a number of transits in NRT.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                  Cost!. He's been told a taxi into the city is up to US$200 !!
                  That sounds about right. I meant why take the train rather than a bus ?

Kyo (IIRC) is the only person I've met who's been mad enough to take a taxi to NRT.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                    This is not true at all. NEX is much faster. I use it to shave off an hour during rush hour arrivals. It can be the same price or less than the Friendly Bus if you combine it with a Suica Card. Green Car is 5000 Yen, which includes a 2000 Yen Suica Card. Regular Car is less.
                    Fair point, my arrivals are all at 0600-0700. My departures have all been around 0800, and I'm counting door-to-door times from Hilton Shinjuku (thus including a shuttle transfer to Shinjuku station). Still, I found a difference of at least 30 mins, if not more like 40-45 mins, as time saved.

Comment

Kyo (IIRC) is the only person I've met who's been mad enough to take a taxi to NRT.
                      Don't remind me! Bloody taxi cost me JPY27610... and we were still denied boarding by SQ's staff...

That's what happens when you take the NEX.... and realise you're going in the wrong direction...

Comment

No reason, in fact coach sounds like a good choice. He's probably going to be in the Hilton.

He's one of the few people mad enough to take a taxi to and from BKK as well.

Comment

Risking life and limb to save less than a tenner when on the other hand £200+ is thrown away on a NRT taxi!

Comment

Fair point, my arrivals are all at 0600-0700. My departures have all been around 0800, and I'm counting door-to-door times from Hilton Shinjuku (thus including a shuttle transfer to Shinjuku station). Still, I found a difference of at least 30 mins, if not more like 40-45 mins, as time saved.
                            I've never had a bus take under 1.5 - 2 hours to or from NRT. NEX is just over an hour. Add a 5 minute cab ride and you're golden.

No reason, in fact coach sounds like a good choice. He's probably going to be in the Hilton.
                            If it's his first time or he's a novice, the bus is the best bet. When he exits the baggage area look for the bright orange sign. Price is ¥3,000 door to door.

I was going to say the same thing.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                              I've never had a bus take under 1.5 - 2 hours to or from NRT. NEX is just over an hour. Add a 5 minute cab ride and you're golden.
                              TCAT to NRT is scheduled for 60-65 mins and actually took 50 last week.

From TCAT it's 5-10 mins cab to the Ginza hotels, and more importantly, major sushi run venues...

Comment

Working...
                              X