Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osaka and Tokyo advise....

Dear guys...
    Will spend X'mas and New Year in Osaka and Tokyo.
    Need some advise from you guys...
    This's the first time I go to Japan with the whole family and children.
    The main atractions will be Universal Studio and DisneyLand/Sea.
    Will be arrive at KIX around 9 pm, it means there is no more bus to the city after we've cleared custom and immigration....
    We're planning to stay at Nikko KIX for that nght, than go to Hyatt Regency Osaka on the next morning by Limousine bus.
    From Osaka to Tokyo we will take Shinkansen from Shin-Osaka station to Tokyo Station.
    In Tokyo we will stay at Hyatt Regency in the Shinjuku area.

Need some advises from any Japan expert here regarding these:

1. Nikko Kix... Is that a good option to stay there at that night before heading to the city on the next morning?
    2. Hyatt Regency Osaka... Is this property in a good location and easy access to the Universal Studio and strolling around the city?
    3. How we can get to the Shin-Osaka station from the hotel? (we try to avoid taxi)
    4. Shinkansen ticket... Can we buy it in advance or online?
    5. Tokyo Station.... How we can go to Hyatt Regency in Shinjuku from this station?
    6. Limousine bus departing fron Hyatt regency... Is this bus also have route to HND from this hotel?

Thanks guys for any kind of input....
    Cheers...

You should be aware that New Year (oshogatsu) in Japanese is one of the most important holidays for Japanese people. A lot of restaurants, shops and tourist attractions are closed during that period:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2276.html

Originally posted by Dent@SUB View Post
    Will be arrive at KIX around 9 pm, it means there is no more bus to the city after we've cleared custom and immigration....
    [...]
    Nikko Kix... Is that a good option to stay there at that night before heading to the city on the next morning?
    I don't know about the Nikko KIX but have you considered taking a train to the city ?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2033.html

For example, the Nankai Rap:t (which I like to use whenever I visit) has a departure every 30 minutes. It takes about 40 minutes, costs less than US$20 (you can pay a bit more for what's called a "super seat" with 3 seats across rather than 4) and takes you to one of the main areas of Osaka (Namba). It should still be running after you clear immigration:

http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/a...nkai_time.html

I don't know about the cost of the Nikko KIX compared to a city centre hotel but assuming the difference is minimal, I would take the train, go to your hotel (if the HR, you'd need to take a long taxi ride), check-in and then go out to grab something to eat!

Hyatt Regency Osaka... Is this property in a good location and easy access to the Universal Studio and strolling around the city?
    I don't know about Universal Studios but IMO the hotel is outside the centre and not in a good location for wandering around Osaka (which for tourists would be Umeda in the north and Namba in the south). The HR is near the aquarium (kaiyukan in Japanese). From this map:

http://www.kaiyukan.com/language/eng...on/emap-t1.gif

You can see the aquarium (and the HR) to the left of the circular line (directly above the word "Osakako". At the top of the circle is Umeda and in the middle of the circle is Namba.

As far as I'm concerned, the hotels in the centre of Osaka which are best located are:

* Swissotel (at Namba right next to the Rap:t terminal - so just a 5 minute walk and you're there)
    * Hilton (Umeda)
    * Nikko

I don't have experience of any of staying in any of those. I've only stayed in:

* Westin (about 20-30 minutes walk from the centre of Umeda but right next door to the Osaka skybuilding which is one of the tourist sights)
    * Ritz Carlton (in the same general area as the Hilton in Umeda)
    * Imperial (Umeda but not a convenient location - it's by the river)
    * St Regis (Honmachi on the map above - so between Umeda and Namba; about 5 minutes by taxi straight down a road to Namba assuming no traffic)
    * Sheraton Miyako (somewhere in the south around Namba IIRC)

How we can get to the Shin-Osaka station from the hotel? (we try to avoid taxi)
    I would take the subway - from the map above, you can see Shin-Osaka on the Midosuji (red coloured) line which passes through Umeda and Namba.

Shinkansen ticket... Can we buy it in advance or online?
    If you're looking at a return from Osaka to Tokyo, then have you checked out the cost of a JR Rail Pass which will probably be cheaper (plus you can use it for other things, e.g. a side trip to Kyoto; the JR trains to/from the airport; etc)

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en003.html

I don't think you can buy a Shinkansen ticket in advance or online if living outside Japan ... but I could be wrong.

Depending on which days you want to travel, you may find that the trains are booked out (see above about this period being a very important holiday in which Japanese return to their homes).

Tokyo Station.... How we can go to Hyatt Regency in Shinjuku from this station?
    Taxi or subway to Shinjuku followed by the HR shuttle bus (outside the Odakyu department store):

http://tokyo.regency.hyatt.com/hyatt...tion/index.jsp

Limousine bus departing fron Hyatt regency... Is this bus also have route to HND from this hotel?
    Yes:

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/pla...es/index/4/19/

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
      I don't think you can buy a Shinkansen ticket in advance or online if living outside Japan ... but I could be wrong.
      Once you get to your Osaka hotel, the concierge can help you procure this and usually let you charge it to your room.
      HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
        Once you get to your Osaka hotel, the concierge can help you procure this and usually let you charge it to your room.
        Of course but depending on when Dent@SUB is travelling, the trains may be full if he leaves it until his arrival in Japan - his dates are during a peak period.

Rather than take the train, what he could also look into is flying from Osaka Itami to Tokyo Haneda!

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9289

You must book the tickets before you arrive in Japan so given the peak travel period (depending on your dates), he might want to do this sooner rather than later.

Only Y (although Japanese domestic flights are a joy given the very pleasant security / other pax / being able to check-in about 10 minute before departure! / etc) but rather cheap compared to what you'd pay otherwise.
        Last edited by jhm; 10 October 2010, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info...
          We will arrive at KIX on 22 Dec around 9pm with CX. And planning heading to Tokyo on 25 Dec. Stay in Tokyo untill 30 Dec before heading back to HKG from HND.
          I think the JAL pass won't work because it's on its black out periode.
          How is the chance of the shinkansen will be fully booked on that date? Maybe it's better to ask the concierge to get us the ticket as soon as we arrive at the hotel.
          Speaking of hotel, thanks to jhm for the advice. Now I'm thinking of Swissotel or Hilton or Nikko instead of HR... (how are these hotels compare to the Westin in term of easy access to the public transportation?)
          Thanks guys for the advises.
          One more thing, Shangrilla Kowloon or IC Grand Stamford for new year's eve??

Comment

How is the chance of the shinkansen will be fully booked on that date?
            From what you say (i.e. just one train journey OSA-TYO on 25 Dec), I think you'll be fine. From the link above:

Travel activity is usually particularly intense from December 29 to December 31 when many urbanites leave the big cities (especially Tokyo) and from January 2 to January 4 when they return home. As a result, trains, airports and highways get very crowded and traveling around the country can be inconvenient.

In 2010/2011, the travel peak is expected to take place between December 29 and 31 with people leaving the big cities, and between January 2 and 4 in the opposite direction.
            Furthermore, if it's just the above train journey, then the JR Rail Pass doesn't make sense nor does flying with the special foreign fares (which have a minimum of 2 segments plus the blackout period you mention). So as you say just sort out the train tix with the concierge as soon as you arrive (as mentioned, I don't think you can book yourself prior to arriving in Japan).

Now I'm thinking of Swissotel or Hilton or Nikko instead of HR... (how are these hotels compare to the Westin in term of easy access to the public transportation?)
            The Swissotel is right next door to Namba station so you're on top of the public transportation (trains and subway). The Hilton is a short walk to Umeda/Osaka stations. Both of them are also surrounded by Namba and Umeda respectively which are full of shops, eating places etc. I can't remember exactly where the Nikko is (I walked past it the other day) but I think it's not inconvenient.

The Westin is about 20-30 minute walk (for me at least) to Osaka station through an underpass etc. It's Japan so it's not unsafe but it's just inconvenient. They also have a shuttle bus to Osaka station of course.

One more thing, Shangrilla Kowloon or IC Grand Stamford for new year's eve??
            Do you mean for the HKG NYE fireworks ? Have a look here:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=173

Incidentally, I may be in Tokyo when you're there (I arrive KIX on 26 Dec and leave from FUK on 29 Dec but thinking about spending part/all of that time in Tokyo - I'll probably stay at the Sheraton Miyako or the HR if they have another FFN promotion) and also in Hong Kong when you're there (I arrive very early on 31 Dec and leave on 2 Jan - staying at the W which I know has no view of the fireworks but I don't plan to sit in my room on NYE)! Happy to meet up for a drink etc if convenient.

Comment

Cannot reserve Shinkansen tickets on-line or before you arrive in Japan. I asked the same question in the Japan forum on FT.

I don't think 25 Dec is peak travel period, so it should be fine for you to buy and reserve the seats first thing when you arrive in Osaka.

Japan Airpass won't work for one flight and has a blackout period over the New Year. Surprisingly, the ANA pass does not have the New Year blackout period. But ANA's timetable and award tickets are not on the system yet.
              I redeemed BA miles for the JAL flight instead. The flights on the 4th of Jan would cost me £200. I redeemed the JAL flight for a grand total of 7500 BA miles and 80 pence.

HR Osaka is extremely convenient for Universal Studios and Osaka Aquarium, and not much else. I think there's a hotel shuttle to Universal studios. Does the hotel offer a package including a pass to UNiversal studios too? Maybe should check. I would stay there for the Osaka Bay skyline and the ferris wheel. I have not stayed there myself but we are considering staying there for one night next year.

I read from FT that the Hilton is very convenient. Not stayed there myself so no comments.

Would miss you in Japan. Would only arrive in Japan after the New Year. But could meet up in Hong Kong if you're free. Friend and I would be at the GH on NYE then the W for two nights. A mini SQT/FT do? Makan at some of the finest Hong Kong eats?

Must plan quickly before places run out. Very kiasu I know.
              Last edited by phaleesy; 11 October 2010, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Anyone who is planning to stay at the HR Tokyo, please check the Hyatt forum on FT.

There is a cheapish rate you might find useful.

But I'm not sure if we could get stay credits at this rate. Still awaiting confirmation on that.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                  Anyone who is planning to stay at the HR Tokyo, please check the Hyatt forum on FT.

There is a cheapish rate you might find useful.

But I'm not sure if we could get stay credits at this rate. Still awaiting confirmation on that.
                  Many many thanks phaleesy....
                  I owe you one....
                  Secured 2 deluxe view rooms at Y15,000 each! That's really a bargain for HR!!

Would miss you in Japan. Would only arrive in Japan after the New Year. But could meet up in Hong Kong if you're free. Friend and I would be at the GH on NYE then the W for two nights. A mini SQT/FT do? Makan at some of the finest Hong Kong eats?

Must plan quickly before places run out. Very kiasu I know.

Do you mean for the HKG NYE fireworks ? Have a look here:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=173

Incidentally, I may be in Tokyo when you're there (I arrive KIX on 26 Dec and leave from FUK on 29 Dec but thinking about spending part/all of that time in Tokyo - I'll probably stay at the Sheraton Miyako or the HR if they have another FFN promotion) and also in Hong Kong when you're there (I arrive very early on 31 Dec and leave on 2 Jan - staying at the W which I know has no view of the fireworks but I don't plan to sit in my room on NYE)! Happy to meet up for a drink etc if convenient.
                  I will be in HKG on late 30Dec 'till 02Jan morning....
                  Will be very occupied with family activities and local family's new year's eve dinner....
                  May be if you guys have time, we can arrange for some drink or "makan" on 01Jan night?
                  Will be very delightly to meet you guys...

Btw, jhm, if u decided to stay at HR, just let me know. Will stay there until 30...

Comment

I owe you one....
                    You owe me very many!
                    One per room per night. So that would be 1x2x5 = 10!
                    I will collect the debt when I see you on New Year's day.

How are the views from the rooms at the HR? Can we see the part of Shinjuku with bright lights and tall buildings?

I will be in HKG on late 30Dec 'till 02Jan morning....
                    Will be very occupied with family activities and local family's new year's eve dinner....
                    May be if you guys have time, we can arrange for some drink or "makan" on 01Jan night?
                    Friend and I would be watching the fireworks from our room or at the harbour so we'd be busy too.

Shall we plan on makan on 1 Jan night then? jhm, your job is to investigate where we could go that night!

We are in HK to makan and makan and makan...

Comment

How is the chance of the shinkansen will be fully booked on that date? Maybe it's better to ask the concierge to get us the ticket as soon as we arrive at the hotel.
                      I would phone the hotel now and ask the concierge for their guidance. They may be able to secure you a reservation.

Now I'm thinking of Swissotel or Hilton or Nikko instead of HR... (how are these hotels compare to the Westin in term of easy access to the public transportation?)
                      I agree that the Swissotel is the most conveniently located. Stay away from the Westin! There is a thread on it in our Hotels Section.
                      HUGE AL

Comment

How are the views from the rooms at the HR? Can we see the part of Shinjuku with bright lights and tall buildings?
                        I can't remember any view of note when I stayed there but then again I booked the cheapest room with no Hyatt status.

Shall we plan on makan on 1 Jan night then? jhm, your job is to investigate where we could go that night!

We are in HK to makan and makan and makan...
                        Perhaps a private kitchen restaurant ? Explained here:

http://www.cnngo.com/hong-kong/eat/p...itchens-213042 (or just Google "private kitchen hong kong")

Some have a minimum requirement of (e.g.) eight people but others will be okay with 2+. There are lots of them - some are difficult to find out about (for obvious reasons) and/or require referrals. Some are still in the chef's home.

Others have over the past ten years (since private kitchens became popular) become proper restaurants such as Xi Yan Private Dining which I've tried twice (their menu is here). It used to be the case that you had to book months in advance but now it's quite easy (besides the original (and best), they have several other branches now including one in Singapore).

Comment

Two which caught my eye just now (but I'm sure there are many more...)

Yin Yang - roast chicken to die for apparently... (The hunk of roast pig looks good too!)

Da Ping Huo - Sichuan food...
                          Last edited by jhm; 11 October 2010, 06:21 AM.

Comment

HKG on New Year's day sounds very, very tempting...
                            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Two which caught my eye just now (but I'm sure there are many more...)

Yin Yang - roast chicken to die for apparently... (The hunk of roast pig looks good too!)
                              Yin Yang looks good.

I think we should place reservations now. Some places might also be shut on New Year's Day. So it might be difficult to get places. Assuming Dent@SUB can make it, we have 4 confirmed very hungry people now.

Who is the handsome chef you told us about? We could try going to his place too.

Do you think it's easier to secure a place if these places are led to believe we're reporters or food bloggers? Chefs do tend to pay more attention to us when they think I'm a reporter.

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                              HKG on New Year's day sounds very, very tempting...
                              Then put your temptation to action!!!

Course of action:
                              1. Book flights
                              2. Book rooms. Think you might need to use points. Rooms are quite expensive the last time we checked.

You can tell us your raunchy sailor stories. My friend and I would try to be on our best behaviour.

Comment

Working...
                              X