A 4-day getaway: SIN, KUL, or BKK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 4-day getaway: SIN, KUL, or BKK?

I'm planning for my winter vacation now and I plan to bring my family down to SE Asia for about 4-5 days. I have been to all the above mentioned cities but only for a very short stay so ive never really got a feel of the cities.

I have in mind SHOPPING, eating, things to see, places that aren't too boring for the kids, but most of all enjoyable. Did I mention shopping?

Thanks

And I look forward to trips to HKG... to shop & eat!

I guess this is what they mean by globalization.

If you haven't been to SIN since the integrated resorts opened, perhaps you should pay them a visit.

Especially the one in Sentosa since that one is more kid friendly.

I'm a bit concerned about BKK still.

Last thing you want is to have to rebook your holiday, in December, if the red shirt/yellow shirt thing flares up again.

The only thing going for KUL is a famous SQTalker lives there!

Comment

I heard KUL isn't bad either.. Or is it? Thanks 9V-SIA, will definitely keep SIN in mind

Comment

9V-SIA, how can you say that about KUL? It's definitely an exciting place to visit... all three cities are. Perhaps the OP would like to advise what type of 'shopping' they had in mind. Coming from HK, I hardly think the usual brand names can't be sourced locally. If you're after local handicrafts/specialty items etc, please advise...

Comment

My apologies! I guess it depends on what kind of shopping you have in mind.

Shopping for me is for designer clothes & electronic equipment.

But I think the eats in all 3 cities is worth trying.

I'm no expert on the drinking... Kyo?

Comment

There are nice places to go for a drink in all 3 cities, so no dramas there. Shopping for designer gear will probably be better in SIN but then again the OP is in HKG which I have been told beats all 3 cities!
            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Sorry I didn't make it clear! I meant to say anywhere that had great shopping that is inexpensive (anywhere cheaper than HKG ) and has a wide variety of designer stuff.

What is OP btw?

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance711 View Post
                Sorry I didn't make it clear! I meant to say anywhere that had great shopping that is inexpensive (anywhere cheaper than HKG ) and has a wide variety of designer stuff.
                That the place that I want to know too.....

Comment

Question for Terrance711, does the Citygate Outlet mall in HKG not offer good prices?

OP = original poster; ie the one who started the thread.

Comment

Designer labels, you're best off shopping in HK...

Comment

Recently the prices have been going up, if you guys haven't noticed, which is why I'm eyeing BKK or KUL now for some cheap buys (I heard). Or is there somewhere in SIN that is just as cheap.

Comment

If shopping is the primary reason for the trip then I would say Singapore is your best bet. Unfortunately it is no bargain like it used to be, in fact with the continually rising SGD (currently 2.1 to the GBP, a few years ago it was 3.5 ) it's the opposite.

KL is better if you are looking for bargains.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                          If shopping is the primary reason for the trip then I would say Singapore is your best bet. Unfortunately it is no bargain like it used to be, in fact with the continually rising SGD (currently 2.1 to the GBP, a few years ago it was 3.5 ) it's the opposite.
                          Indeed. Some things in the UK ARE actually cheaper than SIN

Comment

If I were you, I'd do all 3 cities but for 5 days that'd be a rush. That's me though, I like to see as much as possible on a holiday.

If you'd want something not as hectic, perhaps with more time to explore the shopping and food offerings, I'd suggest SIN and KUL. With 5 days, you'd have enough time to explore SIN and take a 45-minute flight to KUL and probably head off from there. BKK is a little further off so I'd suggest doing it the next time you come to SEA.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                              And I look forward to trips to HKG... to shop & eat!

I guess this is what they mean by globalization.

If you haven't been to SIN since the integrated resorts opened, perhaps you should pay them a visit.

Especially the one in Sentosa since that one is more kid friendly.

I'm a bit concerned about BKK still.

Last thing you want is to have to rebook your holiday, in December, if the red shirt/yellow shirt thing flares up again.

The only thing going for KUL is a famous SQTalker lives there!

Personally I will go to BKK. BKK is a food heaven. You can always find very nice and tasty food no matter how much budget you have. From street food up to very up-scale international restaurants.

Likewise for shopping. Since I notice you are in HKG, I guess you are not looking for up-scale brand as you can easily find one in HKG. So Chatucak, MBk, Prathunam, couple with Siam Paragon, Emporium etc will be again a shopping paradise.

For kids there is Underwater World (or something) at Basement Siam Paragon which is not too bad. Been there once. You can visit Grand Palace and cruise along Chao Praya. It is a nice and interesting to do that.

Of course Spore is second. With Universal in place. But I think food in Spore is rather boring and definitely more expensive with its BKK counter part. Not to mention that by now I think most of the hotel in Orchard shopping belt must have been snapped by Indonesian who will be here to spend the Christmas and New Year

I personally feel nothing much to see in KUL. Don't really like the food either (may be I still cannot find the place).

I always feel BKK is much safer than KUL....
                              visit my blog

Comment

Working...
                              X