Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to go in Thailand? Phuket vs Chiang Mai

Please DO read my rant

Okay guys so I will be transiting in Bangkok with my parents in late June/ early July next year and I was thinking of turning that transit into a short holiday out of Bangkok.. Especially as Thai has flights to Chiang Mai and Phuket under $200 return from Bangkok, it should be easy to convince my parents into it I'm thinking of staying for 3-4 nights in either of the cities, and the accommodation won't be problem.. it's mainly, what can we do if we go to either? I don't mind just going and chilling in either places, but my parents want to go somewhere "constructive" as most people do like to haha.

That's why I wanted to know if there will many things to see in Phuket other than beaches cuz my mom is not a beach fan.. Are there many touristy things to last like 3 days? Also, I have heard that the beaches in Phuket are nice, but they're overcrowded, and I want to really make my holidays worthwhile if I go there, to see some really amazing beaches.. My mom would prefer Chiang Mai I know, but I don't know if there will be anything interesting there to fill up our whole holidays with.. Is there anything very unique to Chiang Mai that cannot be really seen anywhere else?? And also, does anyone know which one is better for shopping cuz my mom would then be a very happy lady!

Originally posted by SQlankan View Post
    Is there anything very unique to Chiang Mai that cannot be really seen anywhere else??
    I've never been to Phuket, so I can't really advise there but as far as Chiang Mai goes, if you and/or your family like elephants, the Elephant Nature Park, which is an hour outside of Chiang Mai city, is an ideal for that. That is quite a unique place, somewhat similar to Pinnawela in Sri Lanka. Here are some links for packages you may be interested in:

http://www.elephantnaturepark.org/tour/tour_1d.htm
    http://www.elephantnaturepark.org/tour/cnx3d.htm

I also have a couple of trip reports that included this park. Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by sumitsan; 24 August 2010, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Phuket wont be overcrowded as long you stay away from Patong.

Plenty to do for 3-4 days, there's lots of 1/2 day or full day tour where you can book easily anywhere. I suggest you check the Phuket Fantasea or Simon cabaret (for watching ladyboy in action) if you decide to go to Phuket.

Beach is beautiful as long it's not Patong beach >< or you can do day trip to Phi Phi island.

Chiang Mai.. hmm not much to do in the area beside the atv ride/rafting/elephant trekking. I just don't like it so it's pretty bias here.

As far from shopping, i think Phuket is better.

Comment

You won't run out of things to do but Phuket's town area is a bit like Pattaya (and that's not a good thing, in my opinion, in case you're wondering). Phuket Fantasea is absolutely touristy and you're only ever gonna do it once in your life, I think. Also, most of the laser show is in Thai and you won't get the Ramayana story unless you have a local to explain... Baan Rim Pa is the most famous restaurant in Phuket and has good food (make sure you ask for the tourist card before eating there to save a bit of coin). Cape Promthep is nice and popular for a sunset.

I'd prefer somewhere near Koh Phan Nga (nearest airport Krabi), where you can also take a boat out to Phi Phi for a day tour, a local boat to Railay Bay, Ao Nang tourist town (nothing much here), and you can also take a boat out to Phuket for a day if you so choose. There's also Koh Lanta not far away and you can do a daytrip to Krabi town and take a river tour (Mr Ann's tours are quite interesting and take awhile to complete - you can also eat at a fish farm where the fish are prepared live/fresh).

I couldn't wait to leave Phuket after only one day but I was sad to leave Krabi (the Sheraton, anyway, although their breakfast gets boring after awhile...)

Can't comment on Chiang Mai but paging SQflyergirl...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
          on Chiang Mai but paging SQflyergirl...
          Ooh I love Chiang Mai. Love it enough to want to buy property there

Lots of things you can do - visit Wat Doi Suthep (Temple) or just take in the generally easy going lifestyle there. There's also the night market/bazaar for shopping, or if you're more adventurous, head further out of town to buy celadon, silver or that kind of thing.

As Mhadian recommends, there's also a Chiang Mai version of the ladyboy show, as well as live muay thai and all the bars (around the canal area) you need to keep you happy. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            I couldn't wait to leave Phuket after only one day...
            I told you not to go there...
            HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
            X